RE: [Marbling] handmade papers

  • Drees, Dedree
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2002
      Dear Tom

      I have done some suminagashi on handmade paper, very gingerly. With
      suminagshi you do not have the rinse stage so chances of success are a
      little better. Though the patterns are nice they are soft because of lack of
      heavy size and the greater porosity. I use it only as a backdrop to more
      work on top like watercolor painting. I have tried tougher handmades and
      gotten darker and stronger patterns. But I get inconsisentcies of color
      appearance. Some colors seem to sink in more than others. Some colors go on
      but have a textured appearance. I would only do it if i am feeling
      experimental. One risks mucking up the handmade paper as well as the
      marbling job so it is rather an expensive experiment. If the paper has a
      noisy texture already ,in terms of design it is at odds with marbling as the
      patterns compete.

      Dedree