[Marbling] handmade papers for mabling

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2002
      For the most part I find handmade papers too porous for clear lines in
      marbling. Unless they have a very tight weave, that is.

      Iris Nevins
    • Franklyn Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2002
        Hi Tom,

        Are you including Japanese papers many of which are hand made and marble
        well, some with and some without alum?

        I agree with the information from Iris Nevins and Dedree Drees, but
        would just like to add that the effectiveness of the paper is much
        affected by the type of beating and the fibre content. Soft,
        under-beaten paper, and paper made from linters seem more likely to
        produce the fuzzy effect that Iris Nevins mentions. I have used my own
        handmade paper which had been heavily beaten or have a small percentage
        of flax fibre and both seem to be more receptive to marbling with sharp,
        clear lines. Tim Barrett's papers marble well but are expensive so I
        only use them for cover papers. I am sure that you could get information
        from Tim.

        I am sure that you know that Hand Papermaking did a portfolio of
        decorated paper on handmade paper some years ago. I vaguely recall that
        some of these were marbled.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 21, 2002
          I agree with the previous message about hm papers.
          However, I've also had exceptional results with very cheap hm papers
          from India and Tibet. The type of pigment and marbling size must be
          taken into consideration. Concentrated acrylics on carragheenan made
          with distilled water work the best for me on both purchased hm's and
          those which I have (poorly) made.
          Supreme results are guaranteed on the expensive hm's from Japan.
          Also- consider the level of expertise of the person doing the
          marbling. Hm paper variables can compound problems for a novice.
        • athena_2547 <athena_2547@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 27, 2002
            Although I am fairly new to the practice of marbling and only have a
            few
            months accumulated experience to speak of, my mother has been
            marbling
            on her own hand made paper for at least 4 years now with success. Her
            lines
            are crisp and her colors turn out bold. I think that by using her own
            paper
            (usually abaca with some koozo fibers) she is able to give her work a
            more
            organic feel. In my experience of late i have found that kozo papers
            work
            wonderfully and yes the light brown of the paper effects some of the
            colors,
            but they blend, and since i make verry thin papers which are semi
            transparent
            it gives it this wonderful stained glass quality and works well when
            applied
            with methyl cellulouse to other handmades of different color and
            fiber. It
            seems that the key thing in marbling on handmades is knowing what
            kind of
            size was added to the pulp (if any) when the sheet was pulled. I have
            been
            using formation aid with the kozo, aluming the paper, and marbling
            with water
            based color on carageen. I will continue to experiment with different
            papers
            and marbling, as this is my area of interest, so if anyone knows of
            any
            reasources on the topic please let me know
            ~Melinda

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, leech541@a... wrote:
            > Hello Marblers,
            >
            > I've agreed to write an article for Hand Papermaking Magazine about
            marbling,
            > and i would like to get a sense of what other marblers think about
            marbling
            > on handmade papers. Any particular successes, failures, joys or
            frustrations?
            > Technical problems? Too expensive? Too scary? I know of only a few
            of
            you
            > (hello Marjorie Tomchuk) who do it regularly, as part of their
            work. Others -
            > Susan Martin and Dana and Ingrid at Moth Marblers from time to
            time. I
            know
            > many of you have experimented, and would love to hear your thoughts.
            >
            > Wishing you a happy holiday season, and Peace
            >
            > tom Leech
          • James M Mahoney
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 27, 2002
              Hi, Tom -

              I am an artist and was a papermaker first, and actually started marbling
              because I thought it would be wonderful on my own paper. And I continue
              to enjoy marbling on my handmade paper. I use Golden Fluid acrylics and
              methyl cel. I do find the marbling looks different on different
              "compositions" of paper. I do not, with exceptions, use any sizing - my
              papers are usually waterleaf papers. This does make the process
              different in that I cannot leave the paper on the marbling surface for
              any length of time, and I cannot work with really large pieces of paper.
              I do not like the effect I get marbling on papers that contain other
              materials (flower petals, onion skins, natural fibers added, etc.) as I
              feel it confuses the eye and detracts from both the look of the paper and
              the look of the marbling. Most of the paper I make is all cotton, but I
              also make linen paper. I do find clear and precise patterns on both
              (when I do traditional patterns) but the linen has a beautiful crispness
              to it, both in the hand of the paper and in the look of the patterns
              (most often, I do the experimental or art marbling rather than patterns).
              I do love the linen papers! I use specific colors (from Twinrocker)
              when coloring my papers, and I much prefer to marble on the colored
              papers than on white (to me it gives an added depth to the colors). My
              linen papers are always a delicate color - never white, as I purchase the
              linen fibers, cut them up and make the pulp from those.

              If you have any particular questions, I will be happy to respond with
              whatever knowledge I have.

              By the way, I saw your exhibit at the Museum of Papermaking in Atlanta -
              your work was wonderful and I enjoyed it very much. The additional
              exhibit of old marbled papers was so very interesting. I wonder if you
              remember the piece against the back wall (behind the staircase) in which
              the marbling was broken up into very angular and "square" shapes. Can
              you tell me how that was accomplished? I've never seen a piece anything
              like that one and I'm very curious. And thanks for the demonstrations
              you gave at the Gathering - I have enjoyed working with some of the ideas
              you gave me! (and some are still rumbling around in my head waiting to
              work their way out!)

              Monita Mahoney

            • sixshort <sixshort@yahoo.com.au>
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 28, 2002
                Hi Tom, I too began with papermaking, and then fell headlong into the
                ocean of marbling, from which I have not yet quite surfaced. I found
                that my own handmade paper, made from cotton linter or recycled
                paper,marbled well using watercolour paints or gouaches on un-alumed
                papers. I liked the silky texture of these papers, but the colours
                were rather faded, no doubt due to the absence of alum.
                Purchased "handmade" papers from India, made from recycled T-shirts,
                and other machine "handmade" papers were another kettle of fish. No
                matter what preparation I tried, the paints peeled off the papers as
                they were lifted from the size - what I referred to as "bubbles" in
                previous correspondence. I have not yet tried Jake Benson's
                suggestion to re-hydrate the papers overnight between damp sheets of
                blotting paper, with weights on top, then to alum and marble the
                papers. I too will be very interested to hear of others' success or
                failure in marbling handmade papers. Joan Ajala