handmade papers for mabling

  • leech541@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2002
      Hello Marblers,

      I've agreed to write an article for Hand Papermaking Magazine about marbling,
      and i would like to get a sense of what other marblers think about marbling
      on handmade papers. Any particular successes, failures, joys or frustrations?
      Technical problems? Too expensive? Too scary? I know of only a few of you
      (hello Marjorie Tomchuk) who do it regularly, as part of their work. Others -
      Susan Martin and Dana and Ingrid at Moth Marblers from time to time. I know
      many of you have experimented, and would love to hear your thoughts.

      Wishing you a happy holiday season, and Peace

      tom Leech
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 19, 2002
        For the most part I find handmade papers too porous for clear lines in
        marbling. Unless they have a very tight weave, that is.

        Iris Nevins
      • Franklyn Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2002
          Hi Tom,

          Are you including Japanese papers many of which are hand made and marble
          well, some with and some without alum?

          I agree with the information from Iris Nevins and Dedree Drees, but
          would just like to add that the effectiveness of the paper is much
          affected by the type of beating and the fibre content. Soft,
          under-beaten paper, and paper made from linters seem more likely to
          produce the fuzzy effect that Iris Nevins mentions. I have used my own
          handmade paper which had been heavily beaten or have a small percentage
          of flax fibre and both seem to be more receptive to marbling with sharp,
          clear lines. Tim Barrett's papers marble well but are expensive so I
          only use them for cover papers. I am sure that you could get information
          from Tim.

          I am sure that you know that Hand Papermaking did a portfolio of
          decorated paper on handmade paper some years ago. I vaguely recall that
          some of these were marbled.

          I've agreed to write an article for Hand Papermaking Magazine about
          marbling,
          and i would like to get a sense of what other marblers think about
          marbling
          on handmade papers. Any particular successes, failures, joys or
          frustrations?
          Technical problems? Too expensive? Too scary? I know of only a few of
          you
          (hello Marjorie Tomchuk) who do it regularly, as part of their work.
          Others -
          Susan Martin and Dana and Ingrid at Moth Marblers from time to time. I
          know
          many of you have experimented, and would love to hear your thoughts.

          Wishing you a happy holiday season, and Peace

          tom Leech

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • mpmh60201 <milena@interaccess.com>
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 21, 2002
            I agree with the previous message about hm papers.
            However, I've also had exceptional results with very cheap hm papers
            from India and Tibet. The type of pigment and marbling size must be
            taken into consideration. Concentrated acrylics on carragheenan made
            with distilled water work the best for me on both purchased hm's and
            those which I have (poorly) made.
            Supreme results are guaranteed on the expensive hm's from Japan.
            Also- consider the level of expertise of the person doing the
            marbling. Hm paper variables can compound problems for a novice.
          • athena_2547 <athena_2547@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 27, 2002
              Although I am fairly new to the practice of marbling and only have a
              few
              months accumulated experience to speak of, my mother has been
              marbling
              on her own hand made paper for at least 4 years now with success. Her
              lines
              are crisp and her colors turn out bold. I think that by using her own
              paper
              (usually abaca with some koozo fibers) she is able to give her work a
              more
              organic feel. In my experience of late i have found that kozo papers
              work
              wonderfully and yes the light brown of the paper effects some of the
              colors,
              but they blend, and since i make verry thin papers which are semi
              transparent
              it gives it this wonderful stained glass quality and works well when
              applied
              with methyl cellulouse to other handmades of different color and
              fiber. It
              seems that the key thing in marbling on handmades is knowing what
              kind of
              size was added to the pulp (if any) when the sheet was pulled. I have
              been
              using formation aid with the kozo, aluming the paper, and marbling
              with water
              based color on carageen. I will continue to experiment with different
              papers
              and marbling, as this is my area of interest, so if anyone knows of
              any
              reasources on the topic please let me know
              ~Melinda

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, leech541@a... wrote:
              > Hello Marblers,
              >
              > I've agreed to write an article for Hand Papermaking Magazine about
              marbling,
              > and i would like to get a sense of what other marblers think about
              marbling
              > on handmade papers. Any particular successes, failures, joys or
              frustrations?
              > Technical problems? Too expensive? Too scary? I know of only a few
              of
              you
              > (hello Marjorie Tomchuk) who do it regularly, as part of their
              work. Others -
              > Susan Martin and Dana and Ingrid at Moth Marblers from time to
              time. I
              know
              > many of you have experimented, and would love to hear your thoughts.
              >
              > Wishing you a happy holiday season, and Peace
              >
              > tom Leech
            • James M Mahoney
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 27, 2002
                Hi, Tom -

                I am an artist and was a papermaker first, and actually started marbling
                because I thought it would be wonderful on my own paper. And I continue
                to enjoy marbling on my handmade paper. I use Golden Fluid acrylics and
                methyl cel. I do find the marbling looks different on different
                "compositions" of paper. I do not, with exceptions, use any sizing - my
                papers are usually waterleaf papers. This does make the process
                different in that I cannot leave the paper on the marbling surface for
                any length of time, and I cannot work with really large pieces of paper.
                I do not like the effect I get marbling on papers that contain other
                materials (flower petals, onion skins, natural fibers added, etc.) as I
                feel it confuses the eye and detracts from both the look of the paper and
                the look of the marbling. Most of the paper I make is all cotton, but I
                also make linen paper. I do find clear and precise patterns on both
                (when I do traditional patterns) but the linen has a beautiful crispness
                to it, both in the hand of the paper and in the look of the patterns
                (most often, I do the experimental or art marbling rather than patterns).
                I do love the linen papers! I use specific colors (from Twinrocker)
                when coloring my papers, and I much prefer to marble on the colored
                papers than on white (to me it gives an added depth to the colors). My
                linen papers are always a delicate color - never white, as I purchase the
                linen fibers, cut them up and make the pulp from those.

                If you have any particular questions, I will be happy to respond with
                whatever knowledge I have.

                By the way, I saw your exhibit at the Museum of Papermaking in Atlanta -
                your work was wonderful and I enjoyed it very much. The additional
                exhibit of old marbled papers was so very interesting. I wonder if you
                remember the piece against the back wall (behind the staircase) in which
                the marbling was broken up into very angular and "square" shapes. Can
                you tell me how that was accomplished? I've never seen a piece anything
                like that one and I'm very curious. And thanks for the demonstrations
                you gave at the Gathering - I have enjoyed working with some of the ideas
                you gave me! (and some are still rumbling around in my head waiting to
                work their way out!)

                Monita Mahoney

              • sixshort <sixshort@yahoo.com.au>
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 28, 2002
                  Hi Tom, I too began with papermaking, and then fell headlong into the
                  ocean of marbling, from which I have not yet quite surfaced. I found
                  that my own handmade paper, made from cotton linter or recycled
                  paper,marbled well using watercolour paints or gouaches on un-alumed
                  papers. I liked the silky texture of these papers, but the colours
                  were rather faded, no doubt due to the absence of alum.
                  Purchased "handmade" papers from India, made from recycled T-shirts,
                  and other machine "handmade" papers were another kettle of fish. No
                  matter what preparation I tried, the paints peeled off the papers as
                  they were lifted from the size - what I referred to as "bubbles" in
                  previous correspondence. I have not yet tried Jake Benson's
                  suggestion to re-hydrate the papers overnight between damp sheets of
                  blotting paper, with weights on top, then to alum and marble the
                  papers. I too will be very interested to hear of others' success or
                  failure in marbling handmade papers. Joan Ajala