Consistence of carrageenan please...

  • MARLENE
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2002
      Hi all,

      I've been practicing a lot recently on different sizes (undisclosed
      ingredients from seller).
      Finally after much searching around, I found some carrageenan in a big
      company lab. I just don't know how concentrated the powder is. After
      mixing 30 gr. per gallon, it is much more liquid than other sizes I have
      used. It is about the consistency of light cream.

      I use premixed paints and acrylics I mix myself (which seem to work ok
      together).
      Funnily I had to put some ox gall into my Pebeo yellow because it would
      just sink! I also found that not all pre-mixed colours from a provider
      work the same.

      I have also tried to marble on white wallpaper sheets (the one with
      little bits in it called ingrain in French) and it worked well. Besides
      it was very interesting because I could cut the sheets to the exact size
      of the tray (it always annoys me when some of a nice pattern has to be
      left behind for waste).

      Should I leave the carrageenan until tomorrow? Will it continue to
      thicken? How should it be? Can the consistency vary depending on the
      temperature you will use it etc.. or is it invariably the same?

      Thank you for your advice.
      Have a great weekend.

      Marlene from Switzerland
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15, 2002
        There are many different grades of carrageenan, most of which don't work so
        well. Light cream sounds right though. Keep the size as long as it works!

        Paints vary quite a lot, there is no one "marbling paint" formula either.
        Each pigment must be treated a little differently. One brand of paint to
        another is very different too.

        In marbling....if it works.....you are lucky! Keep doing what works,