Re: Methyl Cel

  • susaglenn
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2002
      I use methyl cel that I buy from Pro Chemical. I use 1/4 cup per
      gallon of water (my well water - it is on the hard/alkaline side).
      1)I put 3 gallons of well water in a bucket.
      2)I add 3/4 cup of Pro Chemial's methyl cel & stir it up with a
      giant whisk so it is in suspension.
      3) I add 3 to 4 teaspoons of household ammonia & stir like crazy.
      The ammonia makes the water more alkaline which sets off a reaction
      with the methyl cel & makes it thicken up. I keep stirring for maybe
      5 minutes until the methyl cel loses its cloudiness & is thickened.
      4) I let it cure for overnight if possible.
      5) Pro Chemical's instructions say to add a teaspoon of vinegar for
      each gallon of water after the solution has rested for 30 minutes, &
      I used to do this but I don't anymore. Maybe I should, beats me. My
      methyl cel lasts well for a week or so if it doesn't get hot. I keep
      my buckets of made up methyl cel sealed with screw lids & it lasts
      for a long time until I'm ready to use it.

      Susa Glenn

      --- In Marbling@y..., "manihunt" <manihunt@y...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > Read somewhere that Ammonia should be added to the Methyl Cel
      > solution. Is that necessary? Has anyone tried it? How much methyl
      cel
      > do you use per gallon of water?
    • manihunt
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
        I got my methyl cel from a paint shop (it's the one used for wall
        paper), but have not been able to find any ammonia yet. That's why I
        was wondering if it was absolutely necessary.
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
          Use plain amonia from the grocery store...not the sudsy kind. Maybe there's
          another kind, but this does work well.

          Iris Nevins
        • Gail MacKenzie
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
            > I got my methyl cel from a paint shop (it's the one used for wall
            > paper), but have not been able to find any ammonia yet. That's why I
            > was wondering if it was absolutely necessary.

            Good luck..the MC used for wallpaper paste is not as refined or as pure and
            might not give you very good results. Regards, Gail

          • susaglenn
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
              The methyl cel Pro Chemical sells works well (at least for
              acrylics). Just follow their directions for mixing (including the
              ammonia part). They have a web site. If you want to order in larger
              quantities, just call them.
              Susa Glenn