Methyl Cel

  • manihunt
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2002
      Hi,
      Read somewhere that Ammonia should be added to the Methyl Cel
      solution. Is that necessary? Has anyone tried it? How much methyl cel
      do you use per gallon of water?
    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2002
        > There are more than a dozen different types of methyl cel. I assume you are
        > getting it from a marbling supplier and there should be directions. If not
        > you will need to experiment. Ammonia is sometimes added to raise the Ph to
        > keep the methyl cel in suspension. Then you might have to add vinegar to
        > lower the Ph. You want the Ph of the methyl cel solution to be about the same
        > as the pigments you are using. Your water, hardness and Ph, will effect the
        > outcome You can get Ph tape for the methyl cel solution but you┬╣ll probably
        > have to check with your supplier about the paint. Createx seems to be about 8
        > (much higher than it used to be) and Versetex is 8.5. I hope this has
        > helped!! Gail

      • susaglenn
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2002
          I use methyl cel that I buy from Pro Chemical. I use 1/4 cup per
          gallon of water (my well water - it is on the hard/alkaline side).
          1)I put 3 gallons of well water in a bucket.
          2)I add 3/4 cup of Pro Chemial's methyl cel & stir it up with a
          giant whisk so it is in suspension.
          3) I add 3 to 4 teaspoons of household ammonia & stir like crazy.
          The ammonia makes the water more alkaline which sets off a reaction
          with the methyl cel & makes it thicken up. I keep stirring for maybe
          5 minutes until the methyl cel loses its cloudiness & is thickened.
          4) I let it cure for overnight if possible.
          5) Pro Chemical's instructions say to add a teaspoon of vinegar for
          each gallon of water after the solution has rested for 30 minutes, &
          I used to do this but I don't anymore. Maybe I should, beats me. My
          methyl cel lasts well for a week or so if it doesn't get hot. I keep
          my buckets of made up methyl cel sealed with screw lids & it lasts
          for a long time until I'm ready to use it.

          Susa Glenn

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
            I got my methyl cel from a paint shop (it's the one used for wall
            paper), but have not been able to find any ammonia yet. That's why I
            was wondering if it was absolutely necessary.
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
              Use plain amonia from the grocery store...not the sudsy kind. Maybe there's
              another kind, but this does work well.

              Iris Nevins
            • Gail MacKenzie
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
                > I got my methyl cel from a paint shop (it's the one used for wall
                > paper), but have not been able to find any ammonia yet. That's why I
                > was wondering if it was absolutely necessary.

                Good luck..the MC used for wallpaper paste is not as refined or as pure and
                might not give you very good results. Regards, Gail

              • susaglenn
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
                  The methyl cel Pro Chemical sells works well (at least for
                  acrylics). Just follow their directions for mixing (including the
                  ammonia part). They have a web site. If you want to order in larger
                  quantities, just call them.
                  Susa Glenn