[Marbling] Cadmium Toxicity

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2002
      Thanks Milena......

      And do you know that some vitamin/mineral mixtures...I believe coloidal
      liquids, contain.....you got it....CADMIUM. It is a naturally occuring
      substance. However, I think I will pass!! LOL!!! I am sure I have more cads
      in my system than most, just from hanging around my studios for nearly 25
      years. I am also a jeweler and some of the solders have cads too, not a
      good thing to breathe while doing it....but one must breathe.Can't wear a
      mask because it is more important to wear safety glasses and I haven't
      found a way to prevent them from fogging.

      Anyway, I figure since it's just myself down there, I will be as careful as
      I can, and enjoy what I do without too much further worry. Likely the
      jewelry is more harmful anyway....but I am addicted to both art forms, and
      can't seem to stop.....

      Iris
    • susaglenn
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2002
        Hi,
        Here is some information about cadmium I found on the internet. I
        got really sick in 1994 & was tested for heavy metal poisoning. The
        tests showed that I was carrying a load of lead, arsenic, cadmium &
        aluminum. A lot of this came from living with smokers and living on
        a truck route for a lot of years when there was lead in gasoline. My
        best guess on how I got the cadmium is that I have always done a lot
        of gardening & I was really big on using super phosphate. Anyhow, I
        went through some long term treatments to get rid of the load of
        toxic metals that I had & I got well. I am still very sensitive to
        chemicals & this is one reason why I settled on getting so involved
        with marbling with acrylics as the exposure to toxins is really low
        compared to other forms of art work. People keep wanting me to get
        into dying my own fabric before I marble it & I'm not about to even
        consider it. So be careful out there with your art work. Heavy metal
        poisoning is sneaky; once it is in you it stays there & it builds up
        over time until the load reaches critical mass & then you get sick.
        Susa Glenn

        CADMIUM

        This pamphlet provides answers to basic questions about cadmium. It
        will explain what cadmium is, where it is found, how it can affect
        your health, and what you can do to prevent or reduce exposure to it.

        Cadmium is released into the environment from mining and metal
        processing operations, burning fuels, making and using phosphate
        fertilizers, and disposing of metal products. People living near
        industry that conducts any of these activities may be exposed to
        cadmium. Cadmium exposure at low levels usually does not produce
        immediate health effects, but can cause adverse health effects over
        long periods.

        WHAT IS CADMIUM AND HOW IS IT USED?

        Pure cadmium is a soft, silver-white metal found naturally in small
        amounts in soil. Cadmium usually combines with other things to form
        different compounds. Some of these compounds affect the body more
        than others. Cadmium does not have a definite taste or odor.

        Cadmium is not mined, but it is a by-product of the smelting of
        other metals such as zinc, lead, and copper. Cadmium is used in
        nickel-cadmium rechargeable batteries and for metal plating. It also
        is used in some paints, plastics, and metal solders. Some metal
        containers, such as ice cube trays, pitchers, or bowls can contain
        small amounts of cadmium. Ceramicware also can contain some cadmium.
        The principal industries that use cadmium are metal smelting,
        electronics, nuclear power, paint pigment production, and other
        metal working and refining companies.

        HOW DOES CADMIUM GET INTO THE ENVIRONMENT?

        Cadmium is found naturally in small quantities in air, water, and
        soil. Since cadmium is a metal, it does not break down and can
        accumulate over time. Burning household or industrial waste and
        burning coal or oil may release cadmium into the air. Cadmium also
        can be released from car exhaust, metal processing industries,
        battery and paint manufacturing, and waste hauling and disposal
        activities. Once cadmium is in the air, it spreads with the wind and
        settles onto the ground or surface water as dust.

        Higher levels of cadmium may be found in soil or water near
        industrial areas or hazardous waste sites. High levels of cadmium in
        surface soils usually result from cadmium particles settling from
        the air. Soils near roads may contain high levels of cadmium from
        car exhaust. Surface water also can contain low levels of dissolved
        cadmium. Cadmium in water tends to sink and accumulate in bottom
        sediments.

        HOW CAN I BE EXPOSED TO CADMIUM?

        Cadmium can enter the body from smoking tobacco, eating and drinking
        food and water containing cadmium, and inhaling it from the air.
        People living near sources of cadmium or cadmium-related industries
        may be exposed in all these ways. The skin does not easily absorb
        cadmium.

        Cigarettes contain cadmium, and smokers inhale cadmium when they
        smoke. Breathing secondhand smoke is not believed to be a main
        source of exposure to cadmium. For people who do not smoke, food is
        the most common source of cadmium. Fruits and vegetables, especially
        grains, potatoes, and leafy vegetables like spinach, grown in soils
        with high levels of cadmium may contain elevated levels of cadmium.
        Shellfish and organ meats like liver or kidney also contain more
        cadmium than other foods.

        If a community or home has extremely soft water, small amounts of
        cadmium may move from metal water lines into drinking water. If you
        use ceramicware or cadmium-plated metal containers such as ice cube
        trays, pitchers, or bowls to prepare or store food and drinks, some
        cadmium may move into the food or drinks. Also, hobbyists who make
        jewelry, stained glass, or work with paints containing cadmium may
        be exposed.

        HOW DOES CADMIUM ENTER THE BODY?

        The amount of cadmium that enters the body depends on how a person
        is exposed. Cadmium compounds are not easily absorbed by the skin.
        When you eat food or drink water containing cadmium, only a small
        amount is absorbed by the body. Poor nutrition may increase how much
        cadmium the body absorbs. Very small cadmium particles may reach the
        air sacs deep within the lungs. If cadmium is a gas or fume, it is
        even more easily absorbed. Once in the body, cadmium is stored
        mainly in the bone, liver, and kidneys.

        HOW CAN CADMIUM AFFECT MY HEALTH?

        Cadmium has no beneficial effect on human health. Health effects
        caused by cadmium depend on how much has entered the body, how long
        you have been exposed to cadmium, and how the body responds.

        Some workers who breathe air with high levels of cadmium over a
        short time experience lung damage and even death. Breathing cadmium
        in air does not usually cause immediate breathing problems or any
        warning signs. Therefore, exposure may continue until serious lung
        damage has occurred. Most cadmium levels found in the environment
        are not high enough to cause lung damage. Breathing lower levels of
        cadmium over several years can result in a buildup of cadmium in the
        kidneys and lead to kidney disease. It also can cause bones to
        become weaker. If you eat food or drink water that contains large
        amounts of cadmium, stomach irritation, vomiting, and diarrhea may
        result. Small amounts of cadmium taken in over many years may cause
        kidney damage and fragile bones.

        Female rats and mice fed diets high in cadmium have offspring with
        low birth weight and improperly formed bones. Low birth weight also
        has been found in women exposed to cadmium in the workplace.
        Exposure to cadmium at normal environmental levels is not likely to
        cause low birth weight infants. Rodents exposed to cadmium in air
        have higher rates of lung cancer, liver damage, and changes in the
        immune system. There is no evidence that cadmium causes cancer at
        the low levels normally found in the environment.

        IS THERE A TEST TO DETERMINE IF IF I HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO CADMIUM?

        If you think you have been exposed to high levels of cadmium, you
        should consult your physician immediately. Cadmium can be measured
        in blood, urine, hair, nails, liver, and kidneys. Kidney and liver
        function tests can be done to see if cadmium has damaged them. These
        tests are often done in combination with other tests, such as a
        chest X-ray.

        HOW CAN I REDUCE MY EXPOSURE TO CADMIUM?

        You need to be aware of the possible sources of cadmium to limit
        your intake. Not smoking cigarettes and eating a nutritious diet
        will help reduce exposure and prevent harmful effects. If your
        drinking water comes from a private well near a source of cadmium,
        you may want to have the water tested. Public water systems test for
        cadmium on a regular basis. If you live near a source of cadmium,
        you may want to have your garden soil tested for cadmium.

        The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) limits the amount
        of cadmium allowed in drinking water, lakes, rivers, landfills, and
        cropland. USEPA does not allow cadmium in pesticides. The U.S. Food
        and Drug Administration limits cadmium levels in food, and limits
        the amount in ceramicware.

        WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?

        Illinois Department of Public Health
        Division of Environmental Health
        525 W. Jefferson St.
        Springfield, IL 62761
        217-782-5830
        TTY (hearing impaired use only) 800-547-0466

        This pamphlet was supported in part by funds from the Comprehensive
        Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act trust fund
        through a cooperative agreement with the Agency for Toxic Substances
        and Disease Registry, Public Health Service, U.S. Department of
        Health and Human Services.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2002
          Thanks for article, Susa...

          IrisNevins