Cadmium toxicity & Kremer Pigmente

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2002
      Hello everyone,

      I agree with what is being said, and I think it largely depends on your
      approach to handling the paints. I also think that using pigment from a
      reputable source may be worth consideration. Derek (I forget his last name)
      at Kremer Pigmente in NYC did tell me one thing about cadmiums that I
      thought was worth relaying. He said that cheap cadmiums, mainly produced in
      China, and sold by wholesalers here in the US, are quickly mass produced and
      consequently are not very well made. The molecular structure has a lot of
      free radicals attached to it. These free radicals are toxic, and easily
      absorbed through the skin. In contrast, the cadmium line produced by Kremer
      is very well bound on the molecular level, contain no free radicals, and
      therefore is not toxic in itself. He did admit though that due to strict
      OSHA and ASTM standards, it would not be possible to advertise it as such
      and all the pigments bear warning labels.

      I've mentioned Kremer before, and someone pointed out to me that I neglected
      to supply their address. They are a pigment supplier, not a place to buy
      all your marbling supplies. Most of their business is supplying paintings
      conservators with a wide range of pigments, including many historic and
      natural compounds that are hard to find: Egyptian Frit, Smalt, gamboge,
      indigo, cochineal,"Fra Angelico" blue made form Lapis Lazuli in addition to
      the normal range of pigments. They sell their pigments based on kilo weight
      rather than volume. I find their prices very competitive compared to other
      dry pigment suppliers and art suppliers. When I visit their shop, I feel
      like a kid in the candy store! This is a source for those of you who are
      interested in trying to make your own paints.

      http://www.kremer-pigmente.de/

      Store address in New York, USA :
      228 Elizabeth Street (Corner of Prince St.)
      New York, NY 10012   USA
      Tel. 212.219-2394 or 1-800 995 5501     Fax. 212.219-2395
      Store hours: Monday through Saturday 11 a.m. - 6 pm. E.S.T.
      e-mail: kremerinc@...

      Germany:

      Dr. Georg Kremer    Dipl.-Chemiker
      Farbmühle, D-88317 Aichstetten/Allgäu
      Tel. + 49 (0)7565-1011   Fax. + 49 (0)7565-1606
      e-mail: kremer-pigmente@...

      Jake Benson

      Benson's Hand Bindery
      Fine Custom Bookbinding & Conservation
      Hand Marbled Papers
      1319 B Summerville Ave.
      Columbia S.C. 29201
      Phone: 803.799.1853
      jemiljan@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2002
        Hi Jake.....best to mention it is wise not to soak oneself in any cadmium
        pigments ..... but the main real danger is breathing in any pigment powder.
        Many collect in your lungs and stay there. Not good. I would not want to
        work at Kremer!!! not without major respirator! Imagine all the pigment
        dust.

        Still think OSHA is beyond the pale though. No responsible person should
        knowingly endanger an employee but they are extreme. Guess it gives them
        something to do. I feel terribly sorry for Susa.