[Marbling] Re: residue in old size

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
      Thanks....my computer does stupid things like that if I try to open more
      than two windows on the web. I still like Don Guyot's research that
      somehow (don't remember details) cadmiums are inert in paint form, don't
      contaminate anything. I believe he was instrumental in preventing cads from
      being banned for art supplies? Maybe someone else remembers more....Milena?

      Many of the other pigments I would suppose hold no
      danger.....ochres(earth), lamb black(soot). Still I wonder....artists have
      been dumping, washing brushes, etc. for thousands of years. We are so, so
      miniscule compared to big industry. I'm not out to destroy the environment,
      but do think it's overkill especially in the case of watercolors.

      Think I'll keep working alone and comfort myself with the thought that OSHA
      will allow me to poison myself at least if I feel like it. Not that i feel
      in any danger whatever. When making paint I take proper precautions,
      wearing a respirator mask.....yet some particles of pigment must fly into
      the air....even with fume/paricle hoods with exhaust fans. How can they
      possibly regulate everything? Still feel badly they choose to pick on
      small businesses like yourself.....priorities askew.

      irisnevins

      >Hi, Iris,

      OSHA harrassed me in a former life when I owned a wholesale gift
      manufacturing business & had 20+ employees mostly doing crafts
      handwork. Marbling is a whole lot more fun & rewarding. The Golden
      Paints newsletter I mentioned was mainly directed towards art
      schools and the potential problems they face with their waste & how
      they should handle it. It was a fairly long article. I thought it
      had information that marblers might find helpful because it
      discussed the disposal of pigments (if I remember correctly). Try
      going to http://www.goldenpaints.com/sitemap.htm and look at issue
      #7 which has an article, "Schools Sing the Blues over Heavy Metals".
      I think that this is the article I remember but I can't tell for
      sure because it is in pdf format & my computer is freezing up when I
      try to open it. Stupid computer.... Susa Glenn<
    • mpmh60201
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
        Yes, Iris, I do remember Don's words on cadmiums. When there are a
        few extra minutes to hunt the article down...I'll post the info.
        Working on a new portfolio...very little marbling enhancement...much
        watercolor painting. Back to where I started in 1982...I LOVE it!
        Milena

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 8, 2002
          Thanks.....I remember the to-do about banning cads.....I ran out and bought
          a huge supply of the red. Even if I never was allowed to sell it,I would
          have kept working with it myself anyway, knowing no one would be endangered
          by owning a piece of paper with a little of the red on it.... there is just
          no other good traditional looking red for marbling that works, I suppose we
          could have started raising cochineal bugs and murdering and mashing them!

          Great work, Don......hope you are out there reading sometimes, and hope you
          are doing well.....

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 8, 2002
            PS......what OSHA and others overlook or understate or neglect to mention
            at all, is that many of these substances, like cadmiums are naturually
            occurring in the earth,the environment, in way greater amounts that we
            could ever add, unless we were some major paint industry. They ought to get
            off the backs of small artists. Period......maybe my views are not popular,
            but I tryuly believe we are not hurting anything. If we were bigger with
            huge factories, river dumping, I would feel otherwise.....

            Iris Nevins
          • susaglenn
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2002
              One of OSHA's favorite things to fine a small business for is the
              lack of MSDS sheets on file for EVERYTHING used in the business
              including the Windex, liquid hand soap, and don't forget the White
              Out (typing correction fluid). They could shut down every little
              business they wanted to including every paper pusher out there. Just
              because you bought the stuff retail at the grocery store & have been
              using it for years at home is no excuse to not have those MSDS
              sheets on file. It really makes you wonder about what they think
              their mission really is. So if you want to be in compliance,
              remember the MSDS sheets on everything including the size, household
              ammonia, and vinegar. Oh, and the paints. ALL of the paints.

              Susa Glenn

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2002
                OMG!!! I am convinced....shall always work from home, no employees, just
                call myself freelance artist. This is true insanity. SOAP?????

                Oh.....am I allowed to do my "art" by the way, if someone else lives in my
                house????? Am I murdering them when I do laundry? This is beyond belief.

                Is one allowed to wash one's paintbrushes?

                IrisNevins