Re: residue in old size

  • susaglenn
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
      Hi, Iris,

      OSHA harrassed me in a former life when I owned a wholesale gift
      manufacturing business & had 20+ employees mostly doing crafts
      handwork. Marbling is a whole lot more fun & rewarding. The Golden
      Paints newsletter I mentioned was mainly directed towards art
      schools and the potential problems they face with their waste & how
      they should handle it. It was a fairly long article. I thought it
      had information that marblers might find helpful because it
      discussed the disposal of pigments (if I remember correctly). Try
      going to http://www.goldenpaints.com/sitemap.htm and look at issue
      #7 which has an article, "Schools Sing the Blues over Heavy Metals".
      I think that this is the article I remember but I can't tell for
      sure because it is in pdf format & my computer is freezing up when I
      try to open it. Stupid computer.... Susa Glenn
      - In Marbling@y..., IrisNevins <irisnevins@c...> wrote:
      > Thanks Susa.... I am very much in business, have been for 25 years
      almost.
      > I thankfully am allowed by OSHA to happily poison myself though! I
      have had
      > employees, but basically paid them off the books....just used to
      hire an
      > alumer on off days. I work better alone though and don't intend to
      have any
      > more employees, especially after reading what OSHA put you through.
      >
      > I use acrylics only rarely, but from what I understand the
      materials are
      > inert and non toxic that I use..... Maybe I should't write this
      for OSHA to
      > see.....but I really think they are appropriate in some cases,
      maniacal in
      > others. In fact.....What about all the schools in the country, art
      > schools.....everything goes down the drain as far as I know, not
      just
      > marbling materials, but all kinds of painting materials, clay
      residue,
      > glaze residue. Why are they not fined, and you get picked on???
      Very
      > unfair, eh? In fact we followed no such regulations at Arrowmont.
      it gets

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
        Thanks....my computer does stupid things like that if I try to open more
        than two windows on the web. I still like Don Guyot's research that
        somehow (don't remember details) cadmiums are inert in paint form, don't
        contaminate anything. I believe he was instrumental in preventing cads from
        being banned for art supplies? Maybe someone else remembers more....Milena?

        Many of the other pigments I would suppose hold no
        danger.....ochres(earth), lamb black(soot). Still I wonder....artists have
        been dumping, washing brushes, etc. for thousands of years. We are so, so
        miniscule compared to big industry. I'm not out to destroy the environment,
        but do think it's overkill especially in the case of watercolors.

        Think I'll keep working alone and comfort myself with the thought that OSHA
        will allow me to poison myself at least if I feel like it. Not that i feel
        in any danger whatever. When making paint I take proper precautions,
        wearing a respirator mask.....yet some particles of pigment must fly into
        the air....even with fume/paricle hoods with exhaust fans. How can they
        possibly regulate everything? Still feel badly they choose to pick on
        small businesses like yourself.....priorities askew.

        irisnevins

        #7 which has an article, "Schools Sing the Blues over Heavy Metals".
        I think that this is the article I remember but I can't tell for
        sure because it is in pdf format & my computer is freezing up when I
        try to open it. Stupid computer.... Susa Glenn<
      • mpmh60201
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
          Yes, Iris, I do remember Don's words on cadmiums. When there are a
          few extra minutes to hunt the article down...I'll post the info.
          Working on a new portfolio...very little marbling enhancement...much
          watercolor painting. Back to where I started in 1982...I LOVE it!
          Milena

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 8, 2002
            Thanks.....I remember the to-do about banning cads.....I ran out and bought
            a huge supply of the red. Even if I never was allowed to sell it,I would
            have kept working with it myself anyway, knowing no one would be endangered
            by owning a piece of paper with a little of the red on it.... there is just
            no other good traditional looking red for marbling that works, I suppose we
            could have started raising cochineal bugs and murdering and mashing them!

            Great work, Don......hope you are out there reading sometimes, and hope you
            are doing well.....

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2002
              PS......what OSHA and others overlook or understate or neglect to mention
              at all, is that many of these substances, like cadmiums are naturually
              occurring in the earth,the environment, in way greater amounts that we
              could ever add, unless we were some major paint industry. They ought to get
              off the backs of small artists. Period......maybe my views are not popular,
              but I tryuly believe we are not hurting anything. If we were bigger with
              huge factories, river dumping, I would feel otherwise.....

              Iris Nevins
            • susaglenn
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2002
                One of OSHA's favorite things to fine a small business for is the
                lack of MSDS sheets on file for EVERYTHING used in the business
                including the Windex, liquid hand soap, and don't forget the White
                Out (typing correction fluid). They could shut down every little
                business they wanted to including every paper pusher out there. Just
                because you bought the stuff retail at the grocery store & have been
                using it for years at home is no excuse to not have those MSDS
                sheets on file. It really makes you wonder about what they think
                their mission really is. So if you want to be in compliance,
                remember the MSDS sheets on everything including the size, household
                ammonia, and vinegar. Oh, and the paints. ALL of the paints.

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9, 2002
                  OMG!!! I am convinced....shall always work from home, no employees, just
                  call myself freelance artist. This is true insanity. SOAP?????

                  Oh.....am I allowed to do my "art" by the way, if someone else lives in my
                  house????? Am I murdering them when I do laundry? This is beyond belief.

                  Is one allowed to wash one's paintbrushes?

                  IrisNevins