[Marbling] Re: residue in old size

  • IrisNevins
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 6 12:40 PM
      Thanks Susa.... I am very much in business, have been for 25 years almost.
      I thankfully am allowed by OSHA to happily poison myself though! I have had
      employees, but basically paid them off the books....just used to hire an
      alumer on off days. I work better alone though and don't intend to have any
      more employees, especially after reading what OSHA put you through.

      I use acrylics only rarely, but from what I understand the materials are
      inert and non toxic that I use..... Maybe I should't write this for OSHA to
      see.....but I really think they are appropriate in some cases, maniacal in
      others. In fact.....What about all the schools in the country, art
      schools.....everything goes down the drain as far as I know, not just
      marbling materials, but all kinds of painting materials, clay residue,
      glaze residue. Why are they not fined, and you get picked on??? Very
      unfair, eh? In fact we followed no such regulations at Arrowmont. it gets
      me upset, sometimes I wonder if they just like to harass artists such as
      you, when they ought to go after the people with big industrial factories
      who are river-dumping toxic waste.

      >If you've ever been in business & had the OSHA inspector drop by as
      I have, you suddenly have a whole new outlook about what is ok to do
      with your waste. The OSHA rules book is literally impossible to
      read. But if you don't have employees, they probably won't come to
      call. However, it gets real expensive real fast if they do just
      saunter in one day. They even tried to fine me because I had an
      extension cord going from the wall outlet up the wall to the wall
      clock. They fined me because I had old paper records stored in a few
      boxes upstairs in the attic. They fined me because I didn't have
      yellow footprints painted on the floor in the warehouse for the
      employees to follow in case the building caught on fire (the entire
      building was open in the back). The employees told me they wouldn't
      follow the footprints to the front door; they would just go out the
      open back, thanks anyway. Unbelievable. They have the power and the
      regulations to put anybody out of business that they please. When
      the smoke cleared, I had to pay them over $15,000. And I thought
      that I was in compliance.

      Here is how I handle my waste (all acrylics & methylcel): I have a
      waste can into which I scrape the residual paints off of the size
      after each marbled print is done. I also scrape the last of the old
      really dirty size into it when I clean the tray & change size. I
      pour this glop into a large plastic bin & let the liquid evaporate
      out for a few weeks. I now have 5 of these bins on the covered front
      porch of my studio (really attractive). Then I take the remaining
      solid dried mass & put it into the trash. I am on a septic system &
      after handling the size disposal problem in this way, I am hesitant
      to pour it down my drain because I don't want to damage the septic
      tank. The dried mass that I throw away is fairly large & plastic
      like.

      Golden Paints had a news letter they sent out about a year ago that
      covers the problems of waste disposal and the magnatude of the
      problem for art schools. I'm sure that they would be happy to send a
      copy to you if you request it. They have a website that tells you
      how to contact them.

      Susa Glenn<
    • susaglenn
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 7 8:37 AM
        Hi, Iris,

        OSHA harrassed me in a former life when I owned a wholesale gift
        manufacturing business & had 20+ employees mostly doing crafts
        handwork. Marbling is a whole lot more fun & rewarding. The Golden
        Paints newsletter I mentioned was mainly directed towards art
        schools and the potential problems they face with their waste & how
        they should handle it. It was a fairly long article. I thought it
        had information that marblers might find helpful because it
        discussed the disposal of pigments (if I remember correctly). Try
        going to http://www.goldenpaints.com/sitemap.htm and look at issue
        #7 which has an article, "Schools Sing the Blues over Heavy Metals".
        I think that this is the article I remember but I can't tell for
        sure because it is in pdf format & my computer is freezing up when I
        try to open it. Stupid computer.... Susa Glenn

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 7 6:09 PM
          Thanks....my computer does stupid things like that if I try to open more
          than two windows on the web. I still like Don Guyot's research that
          somehow (don't remember details) cadmiums are inert in paint form, don't
          contaminate anything. I believe he was instrumental in preventing cads from
          being banned for art supplies? Maybe someone else remembers more....Milena?

          Many of the other pigments I would suppose hold no
          danger.....ochres(earth), lamb black(soot). Still I wonder....artists have
          been dumping, washing brushes, etc. for thousands of years. We are so, so
          miniscule compared to big industry. I'm not out to destroy the environment,
          but do think it's overkill especially in the case of watercolors.

          Think I'll keep working alone and comfort myself with the thought that OSHA
          will allow me to poison myself at least if I feel like it. Not that i feel
          in any danger whatever. When making paint I take proper precautions,
          wearing a respirator mask.....yet some particles of pigment must fly into
          the air....even with fume/paricle hoods with exhaust fans. How can they
          possibly regulate everything? Still feel badly they choose to pick on
          small businesses like yourself.....priorities askew.

          irisnevins

          #7 which has an article, "Schools Sing the Blues over Heavy Metals".
          I think that this is the article I remember but I can't tell for
          sure because it is in pdf format & my computer is freezing up when I
          try to open it. Stupid computer.... Susa Glenn<
        • mpmh60201
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7 8:35 PM
            Yes, Iris, I do remember Don's words on cadmiums. When there are a
            few extra minutes to hunt the article down...I'll post the info.
            Working on a new portfolio...very little marbling enhancement...much
            watercolor painting. Back to where I started in 1982...I LOVE it!
            Milena

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8 5:02 AM
              Thanks.....I remember the to-do about banning cads.....I ran out and bought
              a huge supply of the red. Even if I never was allowed to sell it,I would
              have kept working with it myself anyway, knowing no one would be endangered
              by owning a piece of paper with a little of the red on it.... there is just
              no other good traditional looking red for marbling that works, I suppose we
              could have started raising cochineal bugs and murdering and mashing them!

              Great work, Don......hope you are out there reading sometimes, and hope you
              are doing well.....

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 8 5:16 AM
                PS......what OSHA and others overlook or understate or neglect to mention
                at all, is that many of these substances, like cadmiums are naturually
                occurring in the earth,the environment, in way greater amounts that we
                could ever add, unless we were some major paint industry. They ought to get
                off the backs of small artists. Period......maybe my views are not popular,
                but I tryuly believe we are not hurting anything. If we were bigger with
                huge factories, river dumping, I would feel otherwise.....

                Iris Nevins
              • susaglenn
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9 5:48 AM
                  One of OSHA's favorite things to fine a small business for is the
                  lack of MSDS sheets on file for EVERYTHING used in the business
                  including the Windex, liquid hand soap, and don't forget the White
                  Out (typing correction fluid). They could shut down every little
                  business they wanted to including every paper pusher out there. Just
                  because you bought the stuff retail at the grocery store & have been
                  using it for years at home is no excuse to not have those MSDS
                  sheets on file. It really makes you wonder about what they think
                  their mission really is. So if you want to be in compliance,
                  remember the MSDS sheets on everything including the size, household
                  ammonia, and vinegar. Oh, and the paints. ALL of the paints.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 9 7:23 PM
                    OMG!!! I am convinced....shall always work from home, no employees, just
                    call myself freelance artist. This is true insanity. SOAP?????

                    Oh.....am I allowed to do my "art" by the way, if someone else lives in my
                    house????? Am I murdering them when I do laundry? This is beyond belief.

                    Is one allowed to wash one's paintbrushes?

                    IrisNevins