New to marbling

  • manihunt
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2002
      Hi,
      Am new to marbling and would love some insights from you all 'gurus'.
      I'd also like to know if when you make the methyl cel paste and use
      it for a session, can you store it for further use? If so, for how
      long? Any special container or can I leave it in the tray?

      Anyone tried using Anne Chambers' method of using household starch?

      Are fabric paints better than acrylics? Should I try and find
      acrylics for fabrics, or will any acrylic do (i have acrylic paints
      for decoupage)?

      Just a bit confused...:)
    • Sue Cole
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13 10:43 PM
        some suggestions are:

        call Daniel Smith arts supply or Talas .  They supply marbling things, so might know of any teachers in the WA area.
        There are lots and lots of youtubes, on marbling, also known as ebru.
        You will need to do a lot of experimenting  on what works for you, so there is a learniing curve.
        I get my silk scarves and marbling supplies from www.dharmatrading.com  also from Pro chemicals.
        You might be able to get a copy of Diane Maurer's book direct from her.  She also has some supplies.
        I got a new dvd recently by Jo Fitsell  "Marbled Fabric Surface Design" that is pretty good.
        You can get a copy of Mimi Schleicher's dvd direct from her, and peggy Skycrafts one from Dharma Trading
        At present, I use methyl cellulose and am trying out the new High Flow acrylic paints from Golden paints and am very happy with them,
         but I also use the cheaper Plaid and apple barrel paints for white, fuschia, and teal
        I don't use the GAC 900 and my scarves marble just fine. I work outside in the summer on my back porch and in the house in the winter.
        you can get premade combs from www.volcanoarts.com or make your own.
        You will need to find what works for you, as I said.
        Sue in Fairbanks, AK

      • zozo7bra
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14 10:42 AM
          Please, I am not criticizing Talas, but in this case buy from either Colophon Art Supply in Washington State, Iris Nevins or Diane Maurrer.  Another excellent source Gallen Berry.
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 14 12:59 PM
            I make and sell watercolor paints, with a more traditional "old book look". Nancy sells watercolor, I think Diane my have Suminagashi, maybe watercolor. Galen had Acrylics only I believe. As far as I know TALAS is not selling paints for marbling, unless something new was added. We can all troubleshoot and advise on

            Iris Nevins
            www.marblingpaper.com