Re: [Marbling] Tini

  • IrisNevins
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 30, 2002
      Thanks....

      The newspaper sounds good, but what about residue that stays in old size?
      iris
    • susaglenn
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 6, 2002
        --- In Marbling@y..., IrisNevins <irisnevins@c...> wrote:
        > Thanks....
        >
        > The newspaper sounds good, but what about residue that stays in
        old size?
        > iris

        If you've ever been in business & had the OSHA inspector drop by as
        I have, you suddenly have a whole new outlook about what is ok to do
        with your waste. The OSHA rules book is literally impossible to
        read. But if you don't have employees, they probably won't come to
        call. However, it gets real expensive real fast if they do just
        saunter in one day. They even tried to fine me because I had an
        extension cord going from the wall outlet up the wall to the wall
        clock. They fined me because I had old paper records stored in a few
        boxes upstairs in the attic. They fined me because I didn't have
        yellow footprints painted on the floor in the warehouse for the
        employees to follow in case the building caught on fire (the entire
        building was open in the back). The employees told me they wouldn't
        follow the footprints to the front door; they would just go out the
        open back, thanks anyway. Unbelievable. They have the power and the
        regulations to put anybody out of business that they please. When
        the smoke cleared, I had to pay them over $15,000. And I thought
        that I was in compliance.

        Here is how I handle my waste (all acrylics & methylcel): I have a
        waste can into which I scrape the residual paints off of the size
        after each marbled print is done. I also scrape the last of the old
        really dirty size into it when I clean the tray & change size. I
        pour this glop into a large plastic bin & let the liquid evaporate
        out for a few weeks. I now have 5 of these bins on the covered front
        porch of my studio (really attractive). Then I take the remaining
        solid dried mass & put it into the trash. I am on a septic system &
        after handling the size disposal problem in this way, I am hesitant
        to pour it down my drain because I don't want to damage the septic
        tank. The dried mass that I throw away is fairly large & plastic
        like.

        Golden Paints had a news letter they sent out about a year ago that
        covers the problems of waste disposal and the magnatude of the
        problem for art schools. I'm sure that they would be happy to send a
        copy to you if you request it. They have a website that tells you
        how to contact them.

        Susa Glenn
      • IrisNevins
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 6, 2002
          Thanks Susa.... I am very much in business, have been for 25 years almost.
          I thankfully am allowed by OSHA to happily poison myself though! I have had
          employees, but basically paid them off the books....just used to hire an
          alumer on off days. I work better alone though and don't intend to have any
          more employees, especially after reading what OSHA put you through.

          I use acrylics only rarely, but from what I understand the materials are
          inert and non toxic that I use..... Maybe I should't write this for OSHA to
          see.....but I really think they are appropriate in some cases, maniacal in
          others. In fact.....What about all the schools in the country, art
          schools.....everything goes down the drain as far as I know, not just
          marbling materials, but all kinds of painting materials, clay residue,
          glaze residue. Why are they not fined, and you get picked on??? Very
          unfair, eh? In fact we followed no such regulations at Arrowmont. it gets
          me upset, sometimes I wonder if they just like to harass artists such as
          you, when they ought to go after the people with big industrial factories
          who are river-dumping toxic waste.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
            Hi, Iris,

            OSHA harrassed me in a former life when I owned a wholesale gift
            manufacturing business & had 20+ employees mostly doing crafts
            handwork. Marbling is a whole lot more fun & rewarding. The Golden
            Paints newsletter I mentioned was mainly directed towards art
            schools and the potential problems they face with their waste & how
            they should handle it. It was a fairly long article. I thought it
            had information that marblers might find helpful because it
            discussed the disposal of pigments (if I remember correctly). Try
            going to http://www.goldenpaints.com/sitemap.htm and look at issue
            #7 which has an article, "Schools Sing the Blues over Heavy Metals".
            I think that this is the article I remember but I can't tell for
            sure because it is in pdf format & my computer is freezing up when I
            try to open it. Stupid computer.... Susa Glenn

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
              Thanks....my computer does stupid things like that if I try to open more
              than two windows on the web. I still like Don Guyot's research that
              somehow (don't remember details) cadmiums are inert in paint form, don't
              contaminate anything. I believe he was instrumental in preventing cads from
              being banned for art supplies? Maybe someone else remembers more....Milena?

              Many of the other pigments I would suppose hold no
              danger.....ochres(earth), lamb black(soot). Still I wonder....artists have
              been dumping, washing brushes, etc. for thousands of years. We are so, so
              miniscule compared to big industry. I'm not out to destroy the environment,
              but do think it's overkill especially in the case of watercolors.

              Think I'll keep working alone and comfort myself with the thought that OSHA
              will allow me to poison myself at least if I feel like it. Not that i feel
              in any danger whatever. When making paint I take proper precautions,
              wearing a respirator mask.....yet some particles of pigment must fly into
              the air....even with fume/paricle hoods with exhaust fans. How can they
              possibly regulate everything? Still feel badly they choose to pick on
              small businesses like yourself.....priorities askew.

              irisnevins

              #7 which has an article, "Schools Sing the Blues over Heavy Metals".
              I think that this is the article I remember but I can't tell for
              sure because it is in pdf format & my computer is freezing up when I
              try to open it. Stupid computer.... Susa Glenn<
            • mpmh60201
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
                Yes, Iris, I do remember Don's words on cadmiums. When there are a
                few extra minutes to hunt the article down...I'll post the info.
                Working on a new portfolio...very little marbling enhancement...much
                watercolor painting. Back to where I started in 1982...I LOVE it!
                Milena

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 8, 2002
                  Thanks.....I remember the to-do about banning cads.....I ran out and bought
                  a huge supply of the red. Even if I never was allowed to sell it,I would
                  have kept working with it myself anyway, knowing no one would be endangered
                  by owning a piece of paper with a little of the red on it.... there is just
                  no other good traditional looking red for marbling that works, I suppose we
                  could have started raising cochineal bugs and murdering and mashing them!

                  Great work, Don......hope you are out there reading sometimes, and hope you
                  are doing well.....

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 8, 2002
                    PS......what OSHA and others overlook or understate or neglect to mention
                    at all, is that many of these substances, like cadmiums are naturually
                    occurring in the earth,the environment, in way greater amounts that we
                    could ever add, unless we were some major paint industry. They ought to get
                    off the backs of small artists. Period......maybe my views are not popular,
                    but I tryuly believe we are not hurting anything. If we were bigger with
                    huge factories, river dumping, I would feel otherwise.....

                    Iris Nevins
                  • susaglenn
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 9, 2002
                      One of OSHA's favorite things to fine a small business for is the
                      lack of MSDS sheets on file for EVERYTHING used in the business
                      including the Windex, liquid hand soap, and don't forget the White
                      Out (typing correction fluid). They could shut down every little
                      business they wanted to including every paper pusher out there. Just
                      because you bought the stuff retail at the grocery store & have been
                      using it for years at home is no excuse to not have those MSDS
                      sheets on file. It really makes you wonder about what they think
                      their mission really is. So if you want to be in compliance,
                      remember the MSDS sheets on everything including the size, household
                      ammonia, and vinegar. Oh, and the paints. ALL of the paints.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 9, 2002
                        OMG!!! I am convinced....shall always work from home, no employees, just
                        call myself freelance artist. This is true insanity. SOAP?????

                        Oh.....am I allowed to do my "art" by the way, if someone else lives in my
                        house????? Am I murdering them when I do laundry? This is beyond belief.

                        Is one allowed to wash one's paintbrushes?

                        IrisNevins