Tini

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 29, 2002
      Yes Tini's presentation was great.....

      I have been trying to find her....does anyone know where she is right now?
      Tokyo maybe, or here?

      Tini are you out there? Hope you are doing well, enjoyed so much our
      conversations at Arrowmont, please get in touch!

      best
      Iris Nevins
    • Laura Sims
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 30, 2002
        Hello Iris,

        I'm combining 2 emails into 1. Tini and Einen were to
        return to Tokyo after traveling.

        Product safety personnel suggest that acrylics and/or
        oils should be poured on newspaper to dry and then be
        thrown away.

        Best, Laura

        --- irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote:
        > Yes Tini's presentation was great.....
        >
        > I have been trying to find her....does anyone know
        > where she is right now?
        > Tokyo maybe, or here?
        >
        > Tini are you out there? Hope you are doing well,
        > enjoyed so much our
        > conversations at Arrowmont, please get in touch!
        >
        > best
        > Iris Nevins

        HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
        http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
      • IrisNevins
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 30, 2002
          Thanks....

          The newspaper sounds good, but what about residue that stays in old size?
          iris
        • susaglenn
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 6, 2002
            --- In Marbling@y..., IrisNevins <irisnevins@c...> wrote:
            > Thanks....
            >
            > The newspaper sounds good, but what about residue that stays in
            old size?
            > iris

            If you've ever been in business & had the OSHA inspector drop by as
            I have, you suddenly have a whole new outlook about what is ok to do
            with your waste. The OSHA rules book is literally impossible to
            read. But if you don't have employees, they probably won't come to
            call. However, it gets real expensive real fast if they do just
            saunter in one day. They even tried to fine me because I had an
            extension cord going from the wall outlet up the wall to the wall
            clock. They fined me because I had old paper records stored in a few
            boxes upstairs in the attic. They fined me because I didn't have
            yellow footprints painted on the floor in the warehouse for the
            employees to follow in case the building caught on fire (the entire
            building was open in the back). The employees told me they wouldn't
            follow the footprints to the front door; they would just go out the
            open back, thanks anyway. Unbelievable. They have the power and the
            regulations to put anybody out of business that they please. When
            the smoke cleared, I had to pay them over $15,000. And I thought
            that I was in compliance.

            Here is how I handle my waste (all acrylics & methylcel): I have a
            waste can into which I scrape the residual paints off of the size
            after each marbled print is done. I also scrape the last of the old
            really dirty size into it when I clean the tray & change size. I
            pour this glop into a large plastic bin & let the liquid evaporate
            out for a few weeks. I now have 5 of these bins on the covered front
            porch of my studio (really attractive). Then I take the remaining
            solid dried mass & put it into the trash. I am on a septic system &
            after handling the size disposal problem in this way, I am hesitant
            to pour it down my drain because I don't want to damage the septic
            tank. The dried mass that I throw away is fairly large & plastic
            like.

            Golden Paints had a news letter they sent out about a year ago that
            covers the problems of waste disposal and the magnatude of the
            problem for art schools. I'm sure that they would be happy to send a
            copy to you if you request it. They have a website that tells you
            how to contact them.

            Susa Glenn
          • IrisNevins
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 6, 2002
              Thanks Susa.... I am very much in business, have been for 25 years almost.
              I thankfully am allowed by OSHA to happily poison myself though! I have had
              employees, but basically paid them off the books....just used to hire an
              alumer on off days. I work better alone though and don't intend to have any
              more employees, especially after reading what OSHA put you through.

              I use acrylics only rarely, but from what I understand the materials are
              inert and non toxic that I use..... Maybe I should't write this for OSHA to
              see.....but I really think they are appropriate in some cases, maniacal in
              others. In fact.....What about all the schools in the country, art
              schools.....everything goes down the drain as far as I know, not just
              marbling materials, but all kinds of painting materials, clay residue,
              glaze residue. Why are they not fined, and you get picked on??? Very
              unfair, eh? In fact we followed no such regulations at Arrowmont. it gets
              me upset, sometimes I wonder if they just like to harass artists such as
              you, when they ought to go after the people with big industrial factories
              who are river-dumping toxic waste.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
                Hi, Iris,

                OSHA harrassed me in a former life when I owned a wholesale gift
                manufacturing business & had 20+ employees mostly doing crafts
                handwork. Marbling is a whole lot more fun & rewarding. The Golden
                Paints newsletter I mentioned was mainly directed towards art
                schools and the potential problems they face with their waste & how
                they should handle it. It was a fairly long article. I thought it
                had information that marblers might find helpful because it
                discussed the disposal of pigments (if I remember correctly). Try
                going to http://www.goldenpaints.com/sitemap.htm and look at issue
                #7 which has an article, "Schools Sing the Blues over Heavy Metals".
                I think that this is the article I remember but I can't tell for
                sure because it is in pdf format & my computer is freezing up when I
                try to open it. Stupid computer.... Susa Glenn

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
                  Thanks....my computer does stupid things like that if I try to open more
                  than two windows on the web. I still like Don Guyot's research that
                  somehow (don't remember details) cadmiums are inert in paint form, don't
                  contaminate anything. I believe he was instrumental in preventing cads from
                  being banned for art supplies? Maybe someone else remembers more....Milena?

                  Many of the other pigments I would suppose hold no
                  danger.....ochres(earth), lamb black(soot). Still I wonder....artists have
                  been dumping, washing brushes, etc. for thousands of years. We are so, so
                  miniscule compared to big industry. I'm not out to destroy the environment,
                  but do think it's overkill especially in the case of watercolors.

                  Think I'll keep working alone and comfort myself with the thought that OSHA
                  will allow me to poison myself at least if I feel like it. Not that i feel
                  in any danger whatever. When making paint I take proper precautions,
                  wearing a respirator mask.....yet some particles of pigment must fly into
                  the air....even with fume/paricle hoods with exhaust fans. How can they
                  possibly regulate everything? Still feel badly they choose to pick on
                  small businesses like yourself.....priorities askew.

                  irisnevins

                  #7 which has an article, "Schools Sing the Blues over Heavy Metals".
                  I think that this is the article I remember but I can't tell for
                  sure because it is in pdf format & my computer is freezing up when I
                  try to open it. Stupid computer.... Susa Glenn<
                • mpmh60201
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 7, 2002
                    Yes, Iris, I do remember Don's words on cadmiums. When there are a
                    few extra minutes to hunt the article down...I'll post the info.
                    Working on a new portfolio...very little marbling enhancement...much
                    watercolor painting. Back to where I started in 1982...I LOVE it!
                    Milena

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 8, 2002
                      Thanks.....I remember the to-do about banning cads.....I ran out and bought
                      a huge supply of the red. Even if I never was allowed to sell it,I would
                      have kept working with it myself anyway, knowing no one would be endangered
                      by owning a piece of paper with a little of the red on it.... there is just
                      no other good traditional looking red for marbling that works, I suppose we
                      could have started raising cochineal bugs and murdering and mashing them!

                      Great work, Don......hope you are out there reading sometimes, and hope you
                      are doing well.....

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 8, 2002
                        PS......what OSHA and others overlook or understate or neglect to mention
                        at all, is that many of these substances, like cadmiums are naturually
                        occurring in the earth,the environment, in way greater amounts that we
                        could ever add, unless we were some major paint industry. They ought to get
                        off the backs of small artists. Period......maybe my views are not popular,
                        but I tryuly believe we are not hurting anything. If we were bigger with
                        huge factories, river dumping, I would feel otherwise.....

                        Iris Nevins
                      • susaglenn
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 9, 2002
                          One of OSHA's favorite things to fine a small business for is the
                          lack of MSDS sheets on file for EVERYTHING used in the business
                          including the Windex, liquid hand soap, and don't forget the White
                          Out (typing correction fluid). They could shut down every little
                          business they wanted to including every paper pusher out there. Just
                          because you bought the stuff retail at the grocery store & have been
                          using it for years at home is no excuse to not have those MSDS
                          sheets on file. It really makes you wonder about what they think
                          their mission really is. So if you want to be in compliance,
                          remember the MSDS sheets on everything including the size, household
                          ammonia, and vinegar. Oh, and the paints. ALL of the paints.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 9, 2002
                            OMG!!! I am convinced....shall always work from home, no employees, just
                            call myself freelance artist. This is true insanity. SOAP?????

                            Oh.....am I allowed to do my "art" by the way, if someone else lives in my
                            house????? Am I murdering them when I do laundry? This is beyond belief.

                            Is one allowed to wash one's paintbrushes?

                            IrisNevins