[Marbling] Oil Marbling

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2002
      Isn't the oil essentially "removed" from the size and onto the paper or
      newspaper cleaning strips? I do not oil marble but do dispose of soiled
      sized right down my drain. The watercolors have alcohol, pigments,
      sometimes a bit of olive oil or turpentine for certain patterns. There
      really is hardly any contaminant left in what goes down the drain, or at
      times, have tossed it out on the ground. I do have my own septic system, if
      that makes a difference...in towns or cities I don't know where it ends up,
      but every marbler I know does the drain dumping or ground dumping, whether
      oil or watercolor or acrylic.

      Maybe I am politically incorrect , but as I recall a while back Don Guyot
      proved that cadmiums (the only material I would have questioned) remain
      inert once they are in paint/pigment form and do not contaminate the
      environment. Maybe some of you remember this?

      Maybe if marbling were more of a major industry, with massive river
      dumping, maybe that would be a problem, but at the level we're at, does it
      matter, or does it actually destroy anything? I am certainly not for
      pollution, but think artists of all kinds for centuries have been using
      these materials, dumped them in drains on the ground or worse, and it seems
      to not have hurt things.

      Are there actual regulations about disposing of oil paint residue in some
      places? Just curious. I would stop disposing if I thought it caused some
      harm. Provocotive topic!