Oil Marbling

  • Milena Hughes
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2002
      Another question to ponder: Where does one dispose of the materials after
      use? Certainly not down the drain or into the soil. Our refuse collectors
      do not pick up this type of contaminant and we only have one day per year to
      bring these materials to a special area. (Fumes have already been
      addressed.) It is not worth the messy effort and marbling results are less
      than desirable if one is looking for the beauty of crisp, sharp patterns.
      The only person that I know of who has achieved INCREDIBLE results is master
      book artist Tini Miura of Tokyo (however, I believe she can also WALK on
      water!). Tini calls her marbling "oleographs", and wowed all of us during
      her slide lecture at the Arrowmont conference last September.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2002
        Isn't the oil essentially "removed" from the size and onto the paper or
        newspaper cleaning strips? I do not oil marble but do dispose of soiled
        sized right down my drain. The watercolors have alcohol, pigments,
        sometimes a bit of olive oil or turpentine for certain patterns. There
        really is hardly any contaminant left in what goes down the drain, or at
        times, have tossed it out on the ground. I do have my own septic system, if
        that makes a difference...in towns or cities I don't know where it ends up,
        but every marbler I know does the drain dumping or ground dumping, whether
        oil or watercolor or acrylic.

        Maybe I am politically incorrect , but as I recall a while back Don Guyot
        proved that cadmiums (the only material I would have questioned) remain
        inert once they are in paint/pigment form and do not contaminate the
        environment. Maybe some of you remember this?

        Maybe if marbling were more of a major industry, with massive river
        dumping, maybe that would be a problem, but at the level we're at, does it
        matter, or does it actually destroy anything? I am certainly not for
        pollution, but think artists of all kinds for centuries have been using
        these materials, dumped them in drains on the ground or worse, and it seems
        to not have hurt things.

        Are there actual regulations about disposing of oil paint residue in some
        places? Just curious. I would stop disposing if I thought it caused some
        harm. Provocotive topic!