Re: My introduction

  • GB Davis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
      Thanks Jill-

      Some more information re: my experiences-

      Paint-Liquitex Acrylics with Marble Ease

      Mordant- Alum

      Paper - White construction paper

      Size- Methocel

      Problems-

      1) Paint sinking in the size. I experimented in cups. When the paint
      would float on the size in the cup I would then try it in the tray.

      2) Disperal. When I did get the paint to float, it would dispesre into
      a thin translucent film.

      3) Pulling sheets. I had problems laying the sheets on the tray. This
      is a skill problem and just needs practice. When I did pull the sheets
      the paints had mixed and becom muddy. When rinsed nothing much "stuck".

      4) Paper. I used construction paper. Construction paper is cheap (duh)
      and now totes an acid free label. I suspect that it is buffered an the
      alum doesn't do its job.

      I suspect that if I worked with an experienced person for a day or two,
      I could solve some of my problems.

      Let me know your thoughts. I know that there is a lot of room for
      improvement!

      Geoff

      > From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
      >
      > Okay--first off you gotta tell us How and What way you were doing the
      > marbling-Then--I am sure there will plenty here who can advise you on
      > methods that will bring better results--Go for it!!!!!!
      > But I sure have had my days when I have marbled and it has ALL gone
      > wrong--so share your story and methods--maybe we all can help.
      > Thanks
      > Jill

      Geoffrey Davis
      The Art Department Studio Camps and Workshops
      The Art Department Graphic Services
      Noblesville, IN

      http://www.ameritech.net/users/artdept/artdept.html
    • GB Davis
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
        Iris-

        Thnak you for the support and suggestions. I'll pull everything out and
        try again soon.

        I have Photo-Flo in stock. Black and white photography is one of our
        regular workshops.

        Thanks,

        Geoff

        IrisNevins wrote:

        > From: IrisNevins <IrisNevins@...>
        >
        > For acrylics, instead of Marble -ease, try Photo-Flo from a camera shop. I
        > use one dropperful into a cup of water, then use that by the drop in the
        > paints until they spread right in relation to each other. Also, sounds like
        > the acrylics are being used too thick.....try thinning with water and see
        > what happens.
        >
        > IrisN.

        > Free shipping through 1/31/2000 at Visualize.com
        > where you'll find limited edition prints & photographs
        > for your home, office, collection or gift-giving needs.

        > Shortcut URL to this page:

        Geoffrey Davis
        The Art Department Studio Camps and Workshops
        The Art Department Graphic Services
        Noblesville, IN

        http://www.ameritech.net/users/artdept/artdept.html
      • IrisNevins
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
          Geoff......EVERYONE has poor beginning marbling experiences! You should see
          my first efforts! I still have them and occassionally show them to students
          for a real laugh! If you stick with it, it will likely start to work one
          day when you least expect it!

          IrisNevins
        • IrisNevins