Re: [Marbling] Alain

  • E V Tresselt
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2002
      This work is very beautiful. I especially like the second file. Alain,
      have you seen the work of the great Turkish marbler Hikmet Barutgul? It
      looks as if you both using a similar technique. Could you elaborate a bit
      on how you marble with enamels? Thanks!
      Sincerely, Nelle Tresselt

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
        Monita, Nelle and the other,

        Thanx for your reactions about my work. I will post more samples in
        the forecoming days.
        Here are some infos about my own technique:
        I use a bath of water, just water, 5 or 6 cm high in a plastic plate.
        I poor a few drops of Levis enamel gloss painting: blue, red and
        yellow, then mixing them a little, then letting them spreading - +/-
        10 minutes. The time depends on the temperature of the water, When it
        is warm at the beginning it takes only 5 minutes, after it takes 20
        minutes. I generally change the water after 2 or 3 uses.
        When the colors are all spread as I want, I put my paper at the
        surface, in one shot. I'm not allowed of moving the paper because
        when the color is spread, it forms a kind of skin (it is not liquid
        anymore).
        I didn't know the work of Hikmet Barutcugil, so I searched some
        websites and found them. Yes, it seems we have great similarities in
        our works. But, as far as I can judge, my own work seems
        more "psychedelic".
        Ten years ago, I began marbling without knowing anything of the
        historical and mystical background of this technic. I discovered it a
        few years later through a demonstration of a Turkish painter which
        told us about the soufi tradition and so on. I was amazed to discover
        my own private and inner way of working corresponded with a tradition
        old of many centuries.
        I use my works in different ways:
        - as a mailartist, I often do marbling on envelops and send them to
        my mailart friend around the world
        - I sell little 4 x 3 " marble cards to collagist artists mainly in
        the USA thanx to the owner of an artistic zine
        - I realize collaborative collage and artworks with artists friends,
        based on samples of my marbling
        I'm also the publisher of a little artistic zine. Next year, I will
        change the form of this publication, and will give a place to
        marbling, so I suppose we will be able to collaborate together.
        Does anyone can tell me if there is yet a magazine about marbling
        somewhere in the world ?

        Don't hesitate to ask further about my work,

        Alain
      • Laura Sims
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
          Dear Alain,

          Your pieces really are like vibrant
          jasper...wonderful. The depth of color is very
          appealing.

          If anyone is interested you can add a little borax to
          the water which helps the enamels spread. It has been
          too long ago for me to remember exact measurements,
          but might be worth a try.

          best, Laura

          http://faith.yahoo.com