Alain

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2002
      I LOVE IT...!!!

      But please be careful of fumes from the enamel! Does this dry shiny?

      Love the colors and motion....keep up the innovative and beautiful work,
      Iris Nevins
    • James M Mahoney
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2002
        I, too, love your pieces. What is your bath that you float the enamels
        on?
        Thanks for sharing!

        Monita Mahoney
        On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:18:17 -0400 irisnevins <irisnevins@...>
        writes:
        > I LOVE IT...!!!
        >
        > But please be careful of fumes from the enamel! Does this dry
        > shiny?
        >
        > Love the colors and motion....keep up the innovative and beautiful
        > work,
        > Iris Nevins

      • E V Tresselt
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2002
          This work is very beautiful. I especially like the second file. Alain,
          have you seen the work of the great Turkish marbler Hikmet Barutgul? It
          looks as if you both using a similar technique. Could you elaborate a bit
          on how you marble with enamels? Thanks!
          Sincerely, Nelle Tresselt

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
            Monita, Nelle and the other,

            Thanx for your reactions about my work. I will post more samples in
            the forecoming days.
            Here are some infos about my own technique:
            I use a bath of water, just water, 5 or 6 cm high in a plastic plate.
            I poor a few drops of Levis enamel gloss painting: blue, red and
            yellow, then mixing them a little, then letting them spreading - +/-
            10 minutes. The time depends on the temperature of the water, When it
            is warm at the beginning it takes only 5 minutes, after it takes 20
            minutes. I generally change the water after 2 or 3 uses.
            When the colors are all spread as I want, I put my paper at the
            surface, in one shot. I'm not allowed of moving the paper because
            when the color is spread, it forms a kind of skin (it is not liquid
            anymore).
            I didn't know the work of Hikmet Barutcugil, so I searched some
            websites and found them. Yes, it seems we have great similarities in
            our works. But, as far as I can judge, my own work seems
            more "psychedelic".
            Ten years ago, I began marbling without knowing anything of the
            historical and mystical background of this technic. I discovered it a
            few years later through a demonstration of a Turkish painter which
            told us about the soufi tradition and so on. I was amazed to discover
            my own private and inner way of working corresponded with a tradition
            old of many centuries.
            I use my works in different ways:
            - as a mailartist, I often do marbling on envelops and send them to
            my mailart friend around the world
            - I sell little 4 x 3 " marble cards to collagist artists mainly in
            the USA thanx to the owner of an artistic zine
            - I realize collaborative collage and artworks with artists friends,
            based on samples of my marbling
            I'm also the publisher of a little artistic zine. Next year, I will
            change the form of this publication, and will give a place to
            marbling, so I suppose we will be able to collaborate together.
            Does anyone can tell me if there is yet a magazine about marbling
            somewhere in the world ?

            Don't hesitate to ask further about my work,

            Alain
          • Laura Sims
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
              Dear Alain,

              Your pieces really are like vibrant
              jasper...wonderful. The depth of color is very
              appealing.

              If anyone is interested you can add a little borax to
              the water which helps the enamels spread. It has been
              too long ago for me to remember exact measurements,
              but might be worth a try.

              best, Laura

              http://faith.yahoo.com