Re: [Marbling] Paint/water ratios

  • Melinda Jensen
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 30, 2002
      Jan,
      You had replied to me earlier about the ratio of water to paint and intensity. I finally got a good ratio with the Utrecht paints. But I sometimes feel the brightness or intensity is low. Now that I have them working do I reduce water for Oxgall to get brightness.
      I am so excited that I actually made a pattern today and there is no greater anticipation than waiting to see your finished product.
      Appreciate if anyone can answer question above.
      Thank you
      Melinda
      soaplady@...
      www.southvalleysoaps.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
        It really depends on the paint! Some need no dilution, others a lot. You
        need to experiment, and sometimes as in the case with cadmium reds, to get
        the proper intensity you need MORE water, not less, because it is a heavy
        pigment which may weigh more than the size can bear. it can start to sink a
        little and you won't even see it, yet the paper will pick up a pale liver
        color where you see bright red on the size. If this happens...dilute a
        little more to allow it to float better...
        Iris Nevins
      • Melinda Jensen
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
          Thank you very much,
          This is the kind of information you do not get from the books. I appreciate it!
          Melinda
          soaplady@...
          www.southvalleysoaps.com
          It really depends on the paint! Some need no dilution, others a lot. You
          need to experiment, and sometimes as in the case with cadmium reds, to get
          the proper intensity you need MORE water, not less, because it is a heavy
          pigment which may weigh more than the size can bear. it can start to sink a
          little and you won't even see it, yet the paper will pick up a pale liver
          color where you see bright red on the size. If this happens...dilute a
          little more to allow it to float better...
          Iris Nevins

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor