marbling with indigo

  • enidadams
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2002
      Jake, funny you should mention marbling with natural indigo. I
      searched the archives recently for entries about marbling with
      indigo. Every e-mail Laura/Indigo Stone had a mention in came up (as
      you might guess there were quite a few) but no entries that I could
      find on the real inquiry. I've been wanting to marble with dyes so
      the pattern would penetrate the fabric. Before I left the conference
      I spent some time with a book in the library on Japanese dyeing,
      which mentioned that alum is a mordant for indigo dye. As a natural
      dye indigo requires oxidation to develop in color from pale greenish
      yellow to blue. Can it also be treated as a pigment in it's oxidized
      particle state, already blue, and bound with gum arabic? Or is
      indigo merely a color name reference for two chemically different
      things?

      Has anyone tried marbling with indigo on cloth? If so, I would love
      to hear about it.

      Thanks very much,
      Enid enid@... or enidadams@...
      540-253-5678
    • V. Wilson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2002
        Enid -

        Different subject -

        Did you receive my email with attachments?

        Vi W