Paint/water ratios

  • Jan Bond
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
      Melinda,

      I haven't used Utrecht paints, but they are one of the three brands
      (Liquitex, Rembrandt, Utrecht) that Galen Berry recommends using.

      The ratio is about 4 parts water to one part paint, but will vary with the
      intensity you want. I don't measure, and haven't had any problems, so it
      seems a forgiving process.

      Jan

    • Melinda Jensen
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
        Thank you Jan,
        That is why I purchased them is Galen Berry's booklet.
        I also got his tools but thought I could do so much better on price for paints and now wish I could send these back to try his. Oh well, live and learn.
        Melinda
        soaplady@...
        www.southvalleysoaps.com
        I haven't used Utrecht paints, but they are one of the three brands
        (Liquitex, Rembrandt, Utrecht) that Galen Berry recommends using.

        The ratio is about 4 parts water to one part paint, but will vary with the
        intensity you want. I don't measure, and haven't had any problems, so it
        seems a forgiving process.

        Jan

        At 01:33 PM 9/18/2002 -0700, you wrote:
        >Jan,
        >Could you please tell me how much water you mix with the Liquatex? I have
        >the Utrecht paints which I thought would be liquid and am guessing at water
        >ratio.
        >Thanks,
        >Melinda
        >soaplady@...
        >www.southvalleysoaps.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • otkinkay@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 19, 2002
          Dear Melinda,
          I forgot to invite you over if you can come. I work during the day but perhaps some weekend. It is always more fun working together.
          Judy K
        • Melinda Jensen
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 19, 2002
            Judy..Where are you located. I'd love to get together with someone else and share info and technique. I am in southern Oregon near CA. border
            Melinda
            soaplady@...
            www.southvalleysoaps.com

            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 20, 2002
              I'm sorry I mixed you up with someone in Manhattan.Love Judy
            • Ann Lederer
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 24, 2002
                Galen's supplies and work are both excellent! Ann Lederer (Beaver)

              • Melinda Jensen
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 24, 2002
                  Have you used his paint? I am so frustrated with trying different paints...I just want to be able to try marbling for awhile without fighting the paint.
                  Melinda
                  soaplady@...
                  www.southvalleysoaps.com
                  Galen's supplies and work are both excellent! Ann Lederer (Beaver)

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • MARLENE
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                    Hello Iris, John Ang, Sandy and Jan, and all the other members

                    Thanks for your messages and sorry for the delay.

                    Jonacs was the other site that made me rush into the shop and try to
                    find the marbling kit…(apart from Galen Berry) thank you John also for
                    your offer to answer my questions. I have a few today! I believe you
                    live in Singapore and I went there a few years ago. What a change of
                    climate and scenery. I loved it. We unfortunately didn’t see much of the
                    sun because forest fires in Malaysia brought all the dust and fumes
                    over.

                    I won’t give up marbling even if the result is still rather poor! And
                    as for supplies from the States, you know white powders have no chance
                    at all at the customs – Galen also said so. I’ll just have to make do
                    with Pebeo or find out my own stuff otherwise. Has anyone tried to make
                    the size with starch paste? Or tried with oil paints?

                    Unfortunately marbling seems to be totally unknown here . It was
                    fashionable here in the eighties but you cannot find books or other
                    providers than Pebeo. Luckily I found some literature at Amazon and
                    Galen kindly agreed to send his booklet over.

                    Jan, as for Pebeo the size is mysterious since they do not mention what
                    it is. They call it thickener! I found that some colors did “eat” others
                    which then go under. It does not float properly and certainly not “side
                    by side”

                    With Pebeo, the paper is not sponged with alum before it is used and the
                    rake does not have a significant effect (a wooden stick and pins (like
                    the ones for sewing) was provided and you had to make it first.

                    I haven’t tried with material yet but eventually I would like to use it
                    too.

                    I also tried different acrilics and had to dilute them. It is not very
                    easy to get the right quality.

                    How many times can one use the size with Carageenan?

                    I am definitely not giving up but need some more practice and advice ;-)

                    Take care

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                      Hi Marlene

                      Have you tried contacting your customs people to see if you could get some
                      kind of ruling about the importation of carrageen. Perhaps Nancy at
                      Colophon could advise, as she ships to Australia. You could ask the
                      supplier to provide a certificate stating the contents and its
                      use. Another alternative is to contact some of the European marblers to
                      find out how they source their supplies. Geert van Daal and Karli Frigge
                      from the Netherlands use powdered carrageen, and Marie Ange Doizy of France
                      may use powdered, or boiled carrageen. Their names will be in the marbling
                      directory which has just been produced by Marie Palowoda. Carrageen in its
                      natural state should be available in Europe, and there are many recipes
                      around on how to produce the size.

                      I don't think you need to give up on carrageen yet!! :-)

                      Please contact me personally or via the list if you need further information

                      Vi Wilson

                      Try contacting this bookbinding school in Switzerland.
                      jnfo@...
                      www.cbl-ascona.ch/
                      Phone +41 091 825 11 62
                    • V. Wilson
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                        Marlene

                        I am sure you realized that the email should have read

                        info@...

                        Sorry for the typo

                        Vi W
                      • mpmh60201
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                          Hello to all of using suffering with formulas and decisions about what
                          brand to use: I have been marbling about two decades and have shelves
                          of paints I have tested and used in some way. Everything works...it
                          is patience that needs adjusting! There is no set formula for any
                          paint, ink, etc. That is where ALL the variables come into play.
                          Galen, Iris and many others have put thousands of hours into their
                          craft and that is why they are GOOD at what they do best! Nothing
                          comes easy in the field of paper marbling unless you settle for
                          mediocity. The pros have not. Professor Mehmed Ali Kagitci, writing
                          in Palette Magazine many, many years ago- about marbling in Turkey,
                          said: "To all appearances, marbling is an easy process; the materials
                          could hardly be simpler. And yet there is scarcely any other craft
                          which is so exposed to extraneous influences and which success depends
                          so much on chance. Consequently,the majority of those who attempt to
                          learn the technique give it up again after a short time. This also
                          explains why their have always been so few ebru masters." I suggest
                          that the MAJORITY of you study the history of marbling (it is
                          fascinating), rather than jump around to find just the right formulas
                          to make your day a bit easier! "No pain, no gain" is certainly true!
                          I'm "still struggling after all these years..."
                          (and loving it)!
                        • johnacs@pacific.net.sg
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                            Dear Marlene,
                            I went to Switzerland a few years ago. Beautiful countryside and mountains.
                            Actually the forest fire came from neighbouring Indonesia. They burn the
                            forest to clear land for farming. Happens every year around mid-year.

                            >Hello Iris, John Ang, Sandy and Jan, and all the other members
                            >

                            >Jonacs was the other site that made me rush into the shop and try to
                            >find the marbling kit…(apart from Galen Berry) thank you John also for
                            >your offer to answer my questions. I have a few today! I believe you
                            >live in Singapore and I went there a few years ago. What a change of
                            >climate and scenery. I loved it. We unfortunately didn’t see much of the
                            >sun because forest fires in Malaysia brought all the dust and fumes
                            >over.

                            I had a hard time searching for Carageenan too. But finally found one
                            supplier which sells this stuff to manufacturers of puddings, jellies,
                            ice-creams. Try searching your local yellow pages under "Food gums",
                            "baking ingredient supplies" etc. Take note the supplier might have many
                            grades of carageenan. What I did was asked for some samples of a few grades
                            and tested them for suitability and cost.

                            >I won’t give up marbling even if the result is still rather poor! And
                            >as for supplies from the States, you know white powders have no chance
                            >at all at the customs ­ Galen also said so. I’ll just have to make do
                            >with Pebeo or find out my own stuff otherwise. Has anyone tried to make
                            >the size with starch paste? Or tried with oil paints?

                            The size can last about 4 days (in my case) before it starts to lose its
                            viscosity and starts to smell.

                            >How many times can one use the size with Carageenan?

                          • Gail MacKenzie
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                              Hello Milena and all,

                              Yes, you are right, everything works, maybe just not quite the way you hoped
                              it would!! I am on my third day of playing chemist and slowly turning into
                              the mad scientist trying to get the result that I want. Who knows, maybe
                              tomorrow!! I have been working on a acrylic tiger¹s eye for 10 years now.

                              Best wishes to all. The conference was wonderful and such a pleasure to
                              meet so many whom I only knew by name. Besides that; I really had fun!!

                              Regards, Gail

                            • Jan Bond
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                                Marlene,

                                I haven't had the paint problems you describe with the Pebeo paints--with
                                sodium alginate as the size or with carrageenan. I didn't buy a whole kit
                                (haven't seen one here from Pebeo), but bought all the bits separately. Too
                                bad it's a mystery what they have given you for size.

                                I definitely have to alum the papers. You'd know you needed alum if your
                                pattern ran or washed off when you rinsed it. It sounds as if you've got
                                problems before you get that far, though.

                                Florence and Venice are marbling centers, so perhaps supplies are available
                                from Italy.

                                Jan

                                Jan

                              • Melinda Jensen
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 30, 2002
                                  Jan,
                                  You had replied to me earlier about the ratio of water to paint and intensity. I finally got a good ratio with the Utrecht paints. But I sometimes feel the brightness or intensity is low. Now that I have them working do I reduce water for Oxgall to get brightness.
                                  I am so excited that I actually made a pattern today and there is no greater anticipation than waiting to see your finished product.
                                  Appreciate if anyone can answer question above.
                                  Thank you
                                  Melinda
                                  soaplady@...
                                  www.southvalleysoaps.com
                                  I haven't used Utrecht paints, but they are one of the three brands
                                  (Liquitex, Rembrandt, Utrecht) that Galen Berry recommends using.

                                  The ratio is about 4 parts water to one part paint, but will vary with the
                                  intensity you want. I don't measure, and haven't had any problems, so it
                                  seems a forgiving process.

                                  Jan

                                  At 01:33 PM 9/18/2002 -0700, you wrote:
                                  >Jan,
                                  >Could you please tell me how much water you mix with the Liquatex? I have
                                  >the Utrecht paints which I thought would be liquid and am guessing at water
                                  >ratio.
                                  >Thanks,
                                  >Melinda
                                  >soaplady@...
                                  >www.southvalleysoaps.com

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                    It really depends on the paint! Some need no dilution, others a lot. You
                                    need to experiment, and sometimes as in the case with cadmium reds, to get
                                    the proper intensity you need MORE water, not less, because it is a heavy
                                    pigment which may weigh more than the size can bear. it can start to sink a
                                    little and you won't even see it, yet the paper will pick up a pale liver
                                    color where you see bright red on the size. If this happens...dilute a
                                    little more to allow it to float better...
                                    Iris Nevins
                                  • Melinda Jensen
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                      Thank you very much,
                                      This is the kind of information you do not get from the books. I appreciate it!
                                      Melinda
                                      soaplady@...
                                      www.southvalleysoaps.com