Re: [Marbling] Hello from Switzerland...

  • Melinda Jensen
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
      Jan,
      Could you please tell me how much water you mix with the Liquatex? I have the Utrecht paints which I thought would be liquid and am guessing at water ratio.
      Thanks,
      Melinda
      soaplady@...
      www.southvalleysoaps.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
        Melinda,

        I haven't used Utrecht paints, but they are one of the three brands
        (Liquitex, Rembrandt, Utrecht) that Galen Berry recommends using.

        The ratio is about 4 parts water to one part paint, but will vary with the
        intensity you want. I don't measure, and haven't had any problems, so it
        seems a forgiving process.

        Jan

      • Melinda Jensen
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
          Thank you Jan,
          That is why I purchased them is Galen Berry's booklet.
          I also got his tools but thought I could do so much better on price for paints and now wish I could send these back to try his. Oh well, live and learn.
          Melinda
          soaplady@...
          www.southvalleysoaps.com
          I haven't used Utrecht paints, but they are one of the three brands
          (Liquitex, Rembrandt, Utrecht) that Galen Berry recommends using.

          The ratio is about 4 parts water to one part paint, but will vary with the
          intensity you want. I don't measure, and haven't had any problems, so it
          seems a forgiving process.

          Jan

          At 01:33 PM 9/18/2002 -0700, you wrote:
          >Jan,
          >Could you please tell me how much water you mix with the Liquatex? I have
          >the Utrecht paints which I thought would be liquid and am guessing at water
          >ratio.
          >Thanks,
          >Melinda
          >soaplady@...
          >www.southvalleysoaps.com

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • otkinkay@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 19, 2002
            Dear Melinda,
            I forgot to invite you over if you can come. I work during the day but perhaps some weekend. It is always more fun working together.
            Judy K
          • Melinda Jensen
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 19, 2002
              Judy..Where are you located. I'd love to get together with someone else and share info and technique. I am in southern Oregon near CA. border
              Melinda
              soaplady@...
              www.southvalleysoaps.com

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 20, 2002
                I'm sorry I mixed you up with someone in Manhattan.Love Judy
              • Ann Lederer
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 24, 2002
                  Galen's supplies and work are both excellent! Ann Lederer (Beaver)

                • Melinda Jensen
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 24, 2002
                    Have you used his paint? I am so frustrated with trying different paints...I just want to be able to try marbling for awhile without fighting the paint.
                    Melinda
                    soaplady@...
                    www.southvalleysoaps.com
                    Galen's supplies and work are both excellent! Ann Lederer (Beaver)

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • MARLENE
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                      Hello Iris, John Ang, Sandy and Jan, and all the other members

                      Thanks for your messages and sorry for the delay.

                      Jonacs was the other site that made me rush into the shop and try to
                      find the marbling kit…(apart from Galen Berry) thank you John also for
                      your offer to answer my questions. I have a few today! I believe you
                      live in Singapore and I went there a few years ago. What a change of
                      climate and scenery. I loved it. We unfortunately didn’t see much of the
                      sun because forest fires in Malaysia brought all the dust and fumes
                      over.

                      I won’t give up marbling even if the result is still rather poor! And
                      as for supplies from the States, you know white powders have no chance
                      at all at the customs – Galen also said so. I’ll just have to make do
                      with Pebeo or find out my own stuff otherwise. Has anyone tried to make
                      the size with starch paste? Or tried with oil paints?

                      Unfortunately marbling seems to be totally unknown here . It was
                      fashionable here in the eighties but you cannot find books or other
                      providers than Pebeo. Luckily I found some literature at Amazon and
                      Galen kindly agreed to send his booklet over.

                      Jan, as for Pebeo the size is mysterious since they do not mention what
                      it is. They call it thickener! I found that some colors did “eat” others
                      which then go under. It does not float properly and certainly not “side
                      by side”

                      With Pebeo, the paper is not sponged with alum before it is used and the
                      rake does not have a significant effect (a wooden stick and pins (like
                      the ones for sewing) was provided and you had to make it first.

                      I haven’t tried with material yet but eventually I would like to use it
                      too.

                      I also tried different acrilics and had to dilute them. It is not very
                      easy to get the right quality.

                      How many times can one use the size with Carageenan?

                      I am definitely not giving up but need some more practice and advice ;-)

                      Take care

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                        Hi Marlene

                        Have you tried contacting your customs people to see if you could get some
                        kind of ruling about the importation of carrageen. Perhaps Nancy at
                        Colophon could advise, as she ships to Australia. You could ask the
                        supplier to provide a certificate stating the contents and its
                        use. Another alternative is to contact some of the European marblers to
                        find out how they source their supplies. Geert van Daal and Karli Frigge
                        from the Netherlands use powdered carrageen, and Marie Ange Doizy of France
                        may use powdered, or boiled carrageen. Their names will be in the marbling
                        directory which has just been produced by Marie Palowoda. Carrageen in its
                        natural state should be available in Europe, and there are many recipes
                        around on how to produce the size.

                        I don't think you need to give up on carrageen yet!! :-)

                        Please contact me personally or via the list if you need further information

                        Vi Wilson

                        Try contacting this bookbinding school in Switzerland.
                        jnfo@...
                        www.cbl-ascona.ch/
                        Phone +41 091 825 11 62
                      • V. Wilson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                          Marlene

                          I am sure you realized that the email should have read

                          info@...

                          Sorry for the typo

                          Vi W
                        • mpmh60201
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                            Hello to all of using suffering with formulas and decisions about what
                            brand to use: I have been marbling about two decades and have shelves
                            of paints I have tested and used in some way. Everything works...it
                            is patience that needs adjusting! There is no set formula for any
                            paint, ink, etc. That is where ALL the variables come into play.
                            Galen, Iris and many others have put thousands of hours into their
                            craft and that is why they are GOOD at what they do best! Nothing
                            comes easy in the field of paper marbling unless you settle for
                            mediocity. The pros have not. Professor Mehmed Ali Kagitci, writing
                            in Palette Magazine many, many years ago- about marbling in Turkey,
                            said: "To all appearances, marbling is an easy process; the materials
                            could hardly be simpler. And yet there is scarcely any other craft
                            which is so exposed to extraneous influences and which success depends
                            so much on chance. Consequently,the majority of those who attempt to
                            learn the technique give it up again after a short time. This also
                            explains why their have always been so few ebru masters." I suggest
                            that the MAJORITY of you study the history of marbling (it is
                            fascinating), rather than jump around to find just the right formulas
                            to make your day a bit easier! "No pain, no gain" is certainly true!
                            I'm "still struggling after all these years..."
                            (and loving it)!
                          • johnacs@pacific.net.sg
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                              Dear Marlene,
                              I went to Switzerland a few years ago. Beautiful countryside and mountains.
                              Actually the forest fire came from neighbouring Indonesia. They burn the
                              forest to clear land for farming. Happens every year around mid-year.

                              >Hello Iris, John Ang, Sandy and Jan, and all the other members
                              >

                              >Jonacs was the other site that made me rush into the shop and try to
                              >find the marbling kit…(apart from Galen Berry) thank you John also for
                              >your offer to answer my questions. I have a few today! I believe you
                              >live in Singapore and I went there a few years ago. What a change of
                              >climate and scenery. I loved it. We unfortunately didn’t see much of the
                              >sun because forest fires in Malaysia brought all the dust and fumes
                              >over.

                              I had a hard time searching for Carageenan too. But finally found one
                              supplier which sells this stuff to manufacturers of puddings, jellies,
                              ice-creams. Try searching your local yellow pages under "Food gums",
                              "baking ingredient supplies" etc. Take note the supplier might have many
                              grades of carageenan. What I did was asked for some samples of a few grades
                              and tested them for suitability and cost.

                              >I won’t give up marbling even if the result is still rather poor! And
                              >as for supplies from the States, you know white powders have no chance
                              >at all at the customs ­ Galen also said so. I’ll just have to make do
                              >with Pebeo or find out my own stuff otherwise. Has anyone tried to make
                              >the size with starch paste? Or tried with oil paints?

                              The size can last about 4 days (in my case) before it starts to lose its
                              viscosity and starts to smell.

                              >How many times can one use the size with Carageenan?

                            • Gail MacKenzie
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                                Hello Milena and all,

                                Yes, you are right, everything works, maybe just not quite the way you hoped
                                it would!! I am on my third day of playing chemist and slowly turning into
                                the mad scientist trying to get the result that I want. Who knows, maybe
                                tomorrow!! I have been working on a acrylic tiger¹s eye for 10 years now.

                                Best wishes to all. The conference was wonderful and such a pleasure to
                                meet so many whom I only knew by name. Besides that; I really had fun!!

                                Regards, Gail

                              • Jan Bond
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                                  Marlene,

                                  I haven't had the paint problems you describe with the Pebeo paints--with
                                  sodium alginate as the size or with carrageenan. I didn't buy a whole kit
                                  (haven't seen one here from Pebeo), but bought all the bits separately. Too
                                  bad it's a mystery what they have given you for size.

                                  I definitely have to alum the papers. You'd know you needed alum if your
                                  pattern ran or washed off when you rinsed it. It sounds as if you've got
                                  problems before you get that far, though.

                                  Florence and Venice are marbling centers, so perhaps supplies are available
                                  from Italy.

                                  Jan

                                  Jan

                                • Melinda Jensen
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 30, 2002
                                    Jan,
                                    You had replied to me earlier about the ratio of water to paint and intensity. I finally got a good ratio with the Utrecht paints. But I sometimes feel the brightness or intensity is low. Now that I have them working do I reduce water for Oxgall to get brightness.
                                    I am so excited that I actually made a pattern today and there is no greater anticipation than waiting to see your finished product.
                                    Appreciate if anyone can answer question above.
                                    Thank you
                                    Melinda
                                    soaplady@...
                                    www.southvalleysoaps.com
                                    I haven't used Utrecht paints, but they are one of the three brands
                                    (Liquitex, Rembrandt, Utrecht) that Galen Berry recommends using.

                                    The ratio is about 4 parts water to one part paint, but will vary with the
                                    intensity you want. I don't measure, and haven't had any problems, so it
                                    seems a forgiving process.

                                    Jan

                                    At 01:33 PM 9/18/2002 -0700, you wrote:
                                    >Jan,
                                    >Could you please tell me how much water you mix with the Liquatex? I have
                                    >the Utrecht paints which I thought would be liquid and am guessing at water
                                    >ratio.
                                    >Thanks,
                                    >Melinda
                                    >soaplady@...
                                    >www.southvalleysoaps.com

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                      It really depends on the paint! Some need no dilution, others a lot. You
                                      need to experiment, and sometimes as in the case with cadmium reds, to get
                                      the proper intensity you need MORE water, not less, because it is a heavy
                                      pigment which may weigh more than the size can bear. it can start to sink a
                                      little and you won't even see it, yet the paper will pick up a pale liver
                                      color where you see bright red on the size. If this happens...dilute a
                                      little more to allow it to float better...
                                      Iris Nevins
                                    • Melinda Jensen
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                        Thank you very much,
                                        This is the kind of information you do not get from the books. I appreciate it!
                                        Melinda
                                        soaplady@...
                                        www.southvalleysoaps.com