Re: [Marbling] Hello from Switzerland...

  • Sandy Thomas
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
      Hi Marlene,

      I had the wonderful oportunity to take a 2 day class with Galen. It was
      mostly on paper and I am interested in working on fabric but the grounding
      experience I had with him was invaluable. I took several pieces of prealumed
      cloth to marble for the second day of his class and got some great pieces to
      take home and show off to my quilt guild.
      I bought his paints and some carageenan and other supplies from him. His
      prices were very reasonable and I took advantage of not having to pay for
      shipping. His paints are premixxed and work with very little adjustment
      needed, something important for a beginner I think.

      sandy
      Fremont California

      Subject: [Marbling] Hello from Switzerland...
      I was looking for info and discovered Galen Berry's site
      http://hometown.aol.com/marbling/marbling/index.htm
      and looked - with awe - at all the gorgeous examples he made, does
      anyone know his work and use the supplies they sell?
      Marlene
    • Jan Bond
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
        Hi Marlene,

        I've used the Pebeo marbling paints, and found they work well. Although you
        describe them as somewhat liquid, they're the same consistency as other
        products. You're right about the limited color palette, though. Pebeo also
        has a product called Setacolor, iridescents in a wide range of colors,
        meant for fabrics. Many of them make good marbling paints if they are mixed
        half and half or more with water, and they are another way to give you more
        variety. The gold and the copper work especially well and give nice effects.

        You don't say what kind of size was in your starter kit, only that you had
        problems with it. I used to use sodium alginate, as carrageenan doesn't
        seem to be available anywhere in Canada. After all the comments on this
        list about the superiority of carageenan, I finally ordered some (I got
        mine from Galen Berry). It really made a big difference.

        I also ordered some of his acrylic paints, and some of his tools, and they
        are all good products.

        If you are ordering from Galen, I highly recommend buying his instruction
        pamphlet. It has very clear information about techniques, and also about
        mixing your own paints.

        At the moment I still have some Pebeo on hand, some of Galen's paints, and
        some Liquitiex artist acrylics that I mix with water, and they all work. I
        also haven't had any problems using more than one type of acrylic at the
        same time.

        Good luck.

        Jan

        At 11:23 AM 9/18/2002 +0200, you wrote:
        >Hi all
        >
        >My name's Marlene (40, hubby, two kids and a cat :-)) and I'd like to
        >introduce myself to you as a new member.
        >
        >I just finished my second tests in marbling and I must say it is
        >difficult to obtain something nice with the stuff I am using (Pebeo
        >starter kit). This technique is not well known around here and I will
        >probably have to get books through Amazon to know a little more. Or find
        >other paints.
        >
        >First of all I had problems with the thickener which clodded and gave me
        >a hell of a time. and then there are only 9 colours in the kit I bought
        >so you have to mix a lot before you get a nice set of shades that go
        >together. The rake went through the somewhat liquid paints (they're
        >ready made) and not much came out of it.
        >
        >But most of all I am a beginner and need to learn a lot more.
        >
        >I am not a beginner in other handicrafts like making clothes, silk
        >painting, knitting etc.. but my past experience clearly is not of much
        >use in marbling.
        >
        >I wonder if anyone would care to listen to a few of my questions. or
        >spending some time explaining to me what you share on this list.
        >
        >I was looking for info and discovered Galen Berry's site
        >http://hometown.aol.com/marbling/marbling/index.htm
        >
        >and looked - with awe - at all the gorgeous examples he made, does
        >anyone know his work and use the supplies they sell?
        >
        >I wish you all a great day wherever you are and hope to hear about you.
        >
        >Marlene

      • Melinda Jensen
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
          Jan,
          Could you please tell me how much water you mix with the Liquatex? I have the Utrecht paints which I thought would be liquid and am guessing at water ratio.
          Thanks,
          Melinda
          soaplady@...
          www.southvalleysoaps.com
> [...]

          >so you have to mix a lot before you get a nice set of shades that go
          >together. The rake went through the somewhat liquid paints (they're
          >ready made) and not much came out of it.
          >
          >But most of all I am a beginner and need to learn a lot more.
          >
          >I am not a beginner in other handicrafts like making clothes, silk
          >painting, knitting etc.. but my past experience clearly is not of much
          >use in marbling.
          >
          >I wonder if anyone would care to listen to a few of my questions. or
          >spending some time explaining to me what you share on this list.
          >
          >I was looking for info and discovered Galen Berry's site
          >http://hometown.aol.com/marbling/marbling/index.htm
          >
          >and looked - with awe - at all the gorgeous examples he made, does
          >anyone know his work and use the supplies they sell?
          >
          >I wish you all a great day wherever you are and hope to hear about you.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Jan Bond
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
            Melinda,

            I haven't used Utrecht paints, but they are one of the three brands
            (Liquitex, Rembrandt, Utrecht) that Galen Berry recommends using.

            The ratio is about 4 parts water to one part paint, but will vary with the
            intensity you want. I don't measure, and haven't had any problems, so it
            seems a forgiving process.

            Jan

          • Melinda Jensen
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
              Thank you Jan,
              That is why I purchased them is Galen Berry's booklet.
              I also got his tools but thought I could do so much better on price for paints and now wish I could send these back to try his. Oh well, live and learn.
              Melinda
              soaplady@...
              www.southvalleysoaps.com
              I haven't used Utrecht paints, but they are one of the three brands
              (Liquitex, Rembrandt, Utrecht) that Galen Berry recommends using.

              The ratio is about 4 parts water to one part paint, but will vary with the
              intensity you want. I don't measure, and haven't had any problems, so it
              seems a forgiving process.

              Jan

              At 01:33 PM 9/18/2002 -0700, you wrote:
              >Jan,
              >Could you please tell me how much water you mix with the Liquatex? I have
              >the Utrecht paints which I thought would be liquid and am guessing at water
              >ratio.
              >Thanks,
              >Melinda
              >soaplady@...
              >www.southvalleysoaps.com

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • otkinkay@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 19, 2002
                Dear Melinda,
                I forgot to invite you over if you can come. I work during the day but perhaps some weekend. It is always more fun working together.
                Judy K
              • Melinda Jensen
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 19, 2002
                  Judy..Where are you located. I'd love to get together with someone else and share info and technique. I am in southern Oregon near CA. border
                  Melinda
                  soaplady@...
                  www.southvalleysoaps.com

                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 20, 2002
                    I'm sorry I mixed you up with someone in Manhattan.Love Judy
                  • Ann Lederer
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 24, 2002
                      Galen's supplies and work are both excellent! Ann Lederer (Beaver)

                    • Melinda Jensen
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 24, 2002
                        Have you used his paint? I am so frustrated with trying different paints...I just want to be able to try marbling for awhile without fighting the paint.
                        Melinda
                        soaplady@...
                        www.southvalleysoaps.com
                        Galen's supplies and work are both excellent! Ann Lederer (Beaver)

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • MARLENE
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                          Hello Iris, John Ang, Sandy and Jan, and all the other members

                          Thanks for your messages and sorry for the delay.

                          Jonacs was the other site that made me rush into the shop and try to
                          find the marbling kit…(apart from Galen Berry) thank you John also for
                          your offer to answer my questions. I have a few today! I believe you
                          live in Singapore and I went there a few years ago. What a change of
                          climate and scenery. I loved it. We unfortunately didn’t see much of the
                          sun because forest fires in Malaysia brought all the dust and fumes
                          over.

                          I won’t give up marbling even if the result is still rather poor! And
                          as for supplies from the States, you know white powders have no chance
                          at all at the customs – Galen also said so. I’ll just have to make do
                          with Pebeo or find out my own stuff otherwise. Has anyone tried to make
                          the size with starch paste? Or tried with oil paints?

                          Unfortunately marbling seems to be totally unknown here . It was
                          fashionable here in the eighties but you cannot find books or other
                          providers than Pebeo. Luckily I found some literature at Amazon and
                          Galen kindly agreed to send his booklet over.

                          Jan, as for Pebeo the size is mysterious since they do not mention what
                          it is. They call it thickener! I found that some colors did “eat” others
                          which then go under. It does not float properly and certainly not “side
                          by side”

                          With Pebeo, the paper is not sponged with alum before it is used and the
                          rake does not have a significant effect (a wooden stick and pins (like
                          the ones for sewing) was provided and you had to make it first.

                          I haven’t tried with material yet but eventually I would like to use it
                          too.

                          I also tried different acrilics and had to dilute them. It is not very
                          easy to get the right quality.

                          How many times can one use the size with Carageenan?

                          I am definitely not giving up but need some more practice and advice ;-)

                          Take care

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                            Hi Marlene

                            Have you tried contacting your customs people to see if you could get some
                            kind of ruling about the importation of carrageen. Perhaps Nancy at
                            Colophon could advise, as she ships to Australia. You could ask the
                            supplier to provide a certificate stating the contents and its
                            use. Another alternative is to contact some of the European marblers to
                            find out how they source their supplies. Geert van Daal and Karli Frigge
                            from the Netherlands use powdered carrageen, and Marie Ange Doizy of France
                            may use powdered, or boiled carrageen. Their names will be in the marbling
                            directory which has just been produced by Marie Palowoda. Carrageen in its
                            natural state should be available in Europe, and there are many recipes
                            around on how to produce the size.

                            I don't think you need to give up on carrageen yet!! :-)

                            Please contact me personally or via the list if you need further information

                            Vi Wilson

                            Try contacting this bookbinding school in Switzerland.
                            jnfo@...
                            www.cbl-ascona.ch/
                            Phone +41 091 825 11 62
                          • V. Wilson
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                              Marlene

                              I am sure you realized that the email should have read

                              info@...

                              Sorry for the typo

                              Vi W
                            • mpmh60201
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                                Hello to all of using suffering with formulas and decisions about what
                                brand to use: I have been marbling about two decades and have shelves
                                of paints I have tested and used in some way. Everything works...it
                                is patience that needs adjusting! There is no set formula for any
                                paint, ink, etc. That is where ALL the variables come into play.
                                Galen, Iris and many others have put thousands of hours into their
                                craft and that is why they are GOOD at what they do best! Nothing
                                comes easy in the field of paper marbling unless you settle for
                                mediocity. The pros have not. Professor Mehmed Ali Kagitci, writing
                                in Palette Magazine many, many years ago- about marbling in Turkey,
                                said: "To all appearances, marbling is an easy process; the materials
                                could hardly be simpler. And yet there is scarcely any other craft
                                which is so exposed to extraneous influences and which success depends
                                so much on chance. Consequently,the majority of those who attempt to
                                learn the technique give it up again after a short time. This also
                                explains why their have always been so few ebru masters." I suggest
                                that the MAJORITY of you study the history of marbling (it is
                                fascinating), rather than jump around to find just the right formulas
                                to make your day a bit easier! "No pain, no gain" is certainly true!
                                I'm "still struggling after all these years..."
                                (and loving it)!
                              • johnacs@pacific.net.sg
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                                  Dear Marlene,
                                  I went to Switzerland a few years ago. Beautiful countryside and mountains.
                                  Actually the forest fire came from neighbouring Indonesia. They burn the
                                  forest to clear land for farming. Happens every year around mid-year.

                                  >Hello Iris, John Ang, Sandy and Jan, and all the other members
                                  >

                                  >Jonacs was the other site that made me rush into the shop and try to
                                  >find the marbling kit…(apart from Galen Berry) thank you John also for
                                  >your offer to answer my questions. I have a few today! I believe you
                                  >live in Singapore and I went there a few years ago. What a change of
                                  >climate and scenery. I loved it. We unfortunately didn’t see much of the
                                  >sun because forest fires in Malaysia brought all the dust and fumes
                                  >over.

                                  I had a hard time searching for Carageenan too. But finally found one
                                  supplier which sells this stuff to manufacturers of puddings, jellies,
                                  ice-creams. Try searching your local yellow pages under "Food gums",
                                  "baking ingredient supplies" etc. Take note the supplier might have many
                                  grades of carageenan. What I did was asked for some samples of a few grades
                                  and tested them for suitability and cost.

                                  >I won’t give up marbling even if the result is still rather poor! And
                                  >as for supplies from the States, you know white powders have no chance
                                  >at all at the customs ­ Galen also said so. I’ll just have to make do
                                  >with Pebeo or find out my own stuff otherwise. Has anyone tried to make
                                  >the size with starch paste? Or tried with oil paints?

                                  The size can last about 4 days (in my case) before it starts to lose its
                                  viscosity and starts to smell.

                                  >How many times can one use the size with Carageenan?

                                • Gail MacKenzie
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                                    Hello Milena and all,

                                    Yes, you are right, everything works, maybe just not quite the way you hoped
                                    it would!! I am on my third day of playing chemist and slowly turning into
                                    the mad scientist trying to get the result that I want. Who knows, maybe
                                    tomorrow!! I have been working on a acrylic tiger¹s eye for 10 years now.

                                    Best wishes to all. The conference was wonderful and such a pleasure to
                                    meet so many whom I only knew by name. Besides that; I really had fun!!

                                    Regards, Gail

                                  • Jan Bond
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                                      Marlene,

                                      I haven't had the paint problems you describe with the Pebeo paints--with
                                      sodium alginate as the size or with carrageenan. I didn't buy a whole kit
                                      (haven't seen one here from Pebeo), but bought all the bits separately. Too
                                      bad it's a mystery what they have given you for size.

                                      I definitely have to alum the papers. You'd know you needed alum if your
                                      pattern ran or washed off when you rinsed it. It sounds as if you've got
                                      problems before you get that far, though.

                                      Florence and Venice are marbling centers, so perhaps supplies are available
                                      from Italy.

                                      Jan

                                      Jan

                                    • Melinda Jensen
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 30, 2002
                                        Jan,
                                        You had replied to me earlier about the ratio of water to paint and intensity. I finally got a good ratio with the Utrecht paints. But I sometimes feel the brightness or intensity is low. Now that I have them working do I reduce water for Oxgall to get brightness.
                                        I am so excited that I actually made a pattern today and there is no greater anticipation than waiting to see your finished product.
                                        Appreciate if anyone can answer question above.
                                        Thank you
                                        Melinda
                                        soaplady@...
                                        www.southvalleysoaps.com
                                        I haven't used Utrecht paints, but they are one of the three brands
                                        (Liquitex, Rembrandt, Utrecht) that Galen Berry recommends using.

                                        The ratio is about 4 parts water to one part paint, but will vary with the
                                        intensity you want. I don't measure, and haven't had any problems, so it
                                        seems a forgiving process.

                                        Jan

                                        At 01:33 PM 9/18/2002 -0700, you wrote:
                                        >Jan,
                                        >Could you please tell me how much water you mix with the Liquatex? I have
                                        >the Utrecht paints which I thought would be liquid and am guessing at water
                                        >ratio.
                                        >Thanks,
                                        >Melinda
                                        >soaplady@...
                                        >www.southvalleysoaps.com

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                          It really depends on the paint! Some need no dilution, others a lot. You
                                          need to experiment, and sometimes as in the case with cadmium reds, to get
                                          the proper intensity you need MORE water, not less, because it is a heavy
                                          pigment which may weigh more than the size can bear. it can start to sink a
                                          little and you won't even see it, yet the paper will pick up a pale liver
                                          color where you see bright red on the size. If this happens...dilute a
                                          little more to allow it to float better...
                                          Iris Nevins
                                        • Melinda Jensen
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                            Thank you very much,
                                            This is the kind of information you do not get from the books. I appreciate it!
                                            Melinda
                                            soaplady@...
                                            www.southvalleysoaps.com