Re: [Marbling] Hello from Switzerland...

  • johnacs@pacific.net.sg
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
      Dear Marlene,

      Welcome to the list.
      Please feel free to ask whatever questions you have regarding marbling.
      That is the reason this list is formed.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      :)

      John Ang Cheng Siew
      My Paper Marbling Website: <http://home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
    • Sandy Thomas
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
        Hi Marlene,

        I had the wonderful oportunity to take a 2 day class with Galen. It was
        mostly on paper and I am interested in working on fabric but the grounding
        experience I had with him was invaluable. I took several pieces of prealumed
        cloth to marble for the second day of his class and got some great pieces to
        take home and show off to my quilt guild.
        I bought his paints and some carageenan and other supplies from him. His
        prices were very reasonable and I took advantage of not having to pay for
        shipping. His paints are premixxed and work with very little adjustment
        needed, something important for a beginner I think.

        sandy
        Fremont California

        Subject: [Marbling] Hello from Switzerland...
        I was looking for info and discovered Galen Berry's site
        http://hometown.aol.com/marbling/marbling/index.htm
        and looked - with awe - at all the gorgeous examples he made, does
        anyone know his work and use the supplies they sell?
        Marlene
      • Jan Bond
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
          Hi Marlene,

          I've used the Pebeo marbling paints, and found they work well. Although you
          describe them as somewhat liquid, they're the same consistency as other
          products. You're right about the limited color palette, though. Pebeo also
          has a product called Setacolor, iridescents in a wide range of colors,
          meant for fabrics. Many of them make good marbling paints if they are mixed
          half and half or more with water, and they are another way to give you more
          variety. The gold and the copper work especially well and give nice effects.

          You don't say what kind of size was in your starter kit, only that you had
          problems with it. I used to use sodium alginate, as carrageenan doesn't
          seem to be available anywhere in Canada. After all the comments on this
          list about the superiority of carageenan, I finally ordered some (I got
          mine from Galen Berry). It really made a big difference.

          I also ordered some of his acrylic paints, and some of his tools, and they
          are all good products.

          If you are ordering from Galen, I highly recommend buying his instruction
          pamphlet. It has very clear information about techniques, and also about
          mixing your own paints.

          At the moment I still have some Pebeo on hand, some of Galen's paints, and
          some Liquitiex artist acrylics that I mix with water, and they all work. I
          also haven't had any problems using more than one type of acrylic at the
          same time.

          Good luck.

          Jan

          At 11:23 AM 9/18/2002 +0200, you wrote:
          >Hi all
          >
          >My name's Marlene (40, hubby, two kids and a cat :-)) and I'd like to
          >introduce myself to you as a new member.
          >
          >I just finished my second tests in marbling and I must say it is
          >difficult to obtain something nice with the stuff I am using (Pebeo
          >starter kit). This technique is not well known around here and I will
          >probably have to get books through Amazon to know a little more. Or find
          >other paints.
          >
          >First of all I had problems with the thickener which clodded and gave me
          >a hell of a time. and then there are only 9 colours in the kit I bought
          >so you have to mix a lot before you get a nice set of shades that go
          >together. The rake went through the somewhat liquid paints (they're
          >ready made) and not much came out of it.
          >
          >But most of all I am a beginner and need to learn a lot more.
          >
          >I am not a beginner in other handicrafts like making clothes, silk
          >painting, knitting etc.. but my past experience clearly is not of much
          >use in marbling.
          >
          >I wonder if anyone would care to listen to a few of my questions. or
          >spending some time explaining to me what you share on this list.
          >
          >I was looking for info and discovered Galen Berry's site
          >http://hometown.aol.com/marbling/marbling/index.htm
          >
          >and looked - with awe - at all the gorgeous examples he made, does
          >anyone know his work and use the supplies they sell?
          >
          >I wish you all a great day wherever you are and hope to hear about you.
          >
          >Marlene

        • Melinda Jensen
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
            Jan,
            Could you please tell me how much water you mix with the Liquatex? I have the Utrecht paints which I thought would be liquid and am guessing at water ratio.
            Thanks,
            Melinda
            soaplady@...
            www.southvalleysoaps.com
> [...]

            >so you have to mix a lot before you get a nice set of shades that go
            >together. The rake went through the somewhat liquid paints (they're
            >ready made) and not much came out of it.
            >
            >But most of all I am a beginner and need to learn a lot more.
            >
            >I am not a beginner in other handicrafts like making clothes, silk
            >painting, knitting etc.. but my past experience clearly is not of much
            >use in marbling.
            >
            >I wonder if anyone would care to listen to a few of my questions. or
            >spending some time explaining to me what you share on this list.
            >
            >I was looking for info and discovered Galen Berry's site
            >http://hometown.aol.com/marbling/marbling/index.htm
            >
            >and looked - with awe - at all the gorgeous examples he made, does
            >anyone know his work and use the supplies they sell?
            >
            >I wish you all a great day wherever you are and hope to hear about you.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Jan Bond
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
              Melinda,

              I haven't used Utrecht paints, but they are one of the three brands
              (Liquitex, Rembrandt, Utrecht) that Galen Berry recommends using.

              The ratio is about 4 parts water to one part paint, but will vary with the
              intensity you want. I don't measure, and haven't had any problems, so it
              seems a forgiving process.

              Jan

            • Melinda Jensen
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 18, 2002
                Thank you Jan,
                That is why I purchased them is Galen Berry's booklet.
                I also got his tools but thought I could do so much better on price for paints and now wish I could send these back to try his. Oh well, live and learn.
                Melinda
                soaplady@...
                www.southvalleysoaps.com
                I haven't used Utrecht paints, but they are one of the three brands
                (Liquitex, Rembrandt, Utrecht) that Galen Berry recommends using.

                The ratio is about 4 parts water to one part paint, but will vary with the
                intensity you want. I don't measure, and haven't had any problems, so it
                seems a forgiving process.

                Jan

                At 01:33 PM 9/18/2002 -0700, you wrote:
                >Jan,
                >Could you please tell me how much water you mix with the Liquatex? I have
                >the Utrecht paints which I thought would be liquid and am guessing at water
                >ratio.
                >Thanks,
                >Melinda
                >soaplady@...
                >www.southvalleysoaps.com

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • otkinkay@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 19, 2002
                  Dear Melinda,
                  I forgot to invite you over if you can come. I work during the day but perhaps some weekend. It is always more fun working together.
                  Judy K
                • Melinda Jensen
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 19, 2002
                    Judy..Where are you located. I'd love to get together with someone else and share info and technique. I am in southern Oregon near CA. border
                    Melinda
                    soaplady@...
                    www.southvalleysoaps.com

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 20, 2002
                      I'm sorry I mixed you up with someone in Manhattan.Love Judy
                    • Ann Lederer
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 24, 2002
                        Galen's supplies and work are both excellent! Ann Lederer (Beaver)

                      • Melinda Jensen
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 24, 2002
                          Have you used his paint? I am so frustrated with trying different paints...I just want to be able to try marbling for awhile without fighting the paint.
                          Melinda
                          soaplady@...
                          www.southvalleysoaps.com
                          Galen's supplies and work are both excellent! Ann Lederer (Beaver)

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • MARLENE
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                            Hello Iris, John Ang, Sandy and Jan, and all the other members

                            Thanks for your messages and sorry for the delay.

                            Jonacs was the other site that made me rush into the shop and try to
                            find the marbling kit…(apart from Galen Berry) thank you John also for
                            your offer to answer my questions. I have a few today! I believe you
                            live in Singapore and I went there a few years ago. What a change of
                            climate and scenery. I loved it. We unfortunately didn’t see much of the
                            sun because forest fires in Malaysia brought all the dust and fumes
                            over.

                            I won’t give up marbling even if the result is still rather poor! And
                            as for supplies from the States, you know white powders have no chance
                            at all at the customs – Galen also said so. I’ll just have to make do
                            with Pebeo or find out my own stuff otherwise. Has anyone tried to make
                            the size with starch paste? Or tried with oil paints?

                            Unfortunately marbling seems to be totally unknown here . It was
                            fashionable here in the eighties but you cannot find books or other
                            providers than Pebeo. Luckily I found some literature at Amazon and
                            Galen kindly agreed to send his booklet over.

                            Jan, as for Pebeo the size is mysterious since they do not mention what
                            it is. They call it thickener! I found that some colors did “eat” others
                            which then go under. It does not float properly and certainly not “side
                            by side”

                            With Pebeo, the paper is not sponged with alum before it is used and the
                            rake does not have a significant effect (a wooden stick and pins (like
                            the ones for sewing) was provided and you had to make it first.

                            I haven’t tried with material yet but eventually I would like to use it
                            too.

                            I also tried different acrilics and had to dilute them. It is not very
                            easy to get the right quality.

                            How many times can one use the size with Carageenan?

                            I am definitely not giving up but need some more practice and advice ;-)

                            Take care

                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                              Hi Marlene

                              Have you tried contacting your customs people to see if you could get some
                              kind of ruling about the importation of carrageen. Perhaps Nancy at
                              Colophon could advise, as she ships to Australia. You could ask the
                              supplier to provide a certificate stating the contents and its
                              use. Another alternative is to contact some of the European marblers to
                              find out how they source their supplies. Geert van Daal and Karli Frigge
                              from the Netherlands use powdered carrageen, and Marie Ange Doizy of France
                              may use powdered, or boiled carrageen. Their names will be in the marbling
                              directory which has just been produced by Marie Palowoda. Carrageen in its
                              natural state should be available in Europe, and there are many recipes
                              around on how to produce the size.

                              I don't think you need to give up on carrageen yet!! :-)

                              Please contact me personally or via the list if you need further information

                              Vi Wilson

                              Try contacting this bookbinding school in Switzerland.
                              jnfo@...
                              www.cbl-ascona.ch/
                              Phone +41 091 825 11 62
                            • V. Wilson
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                                Marlene

                                I am sure you realized that the email should have read

                                info@...

                                Sorry for the typo

                                Vi W
                              • mpmh60201
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                                  Hello to all of using suffering with formulas and decisions about what
                                  brand to use: I have been marbling about two decades and have shelves
                                  of paints I have tested and used in some way. Everything works...it
                                  is patience that needs adjusting! There is no set formula for any
                                  paint, ink, etc. That is where ALL the variables come into play.
                                  Galen, Iris and many others have put thousands of hours into their
                                  craft and that is why they are GOOD at what they do best! Nothing
                                  comes easy in the field of paper marbling unless you settle for
                                  mediocity. The pros have not. Professor Mehmed Ali Kagitci, writing
                                  in Palette Magazine many, many years ago- about marbling in Turkey,
                                  said: "To all appearances, marbling is an easy process; the materials
                                  could hardly be simpler. And yet there is scarcely any other craft
                                  which is so exposed to extraneous influences and which success depends
                                  so much on chance. Consequently,the majority of those who attempt to
                                  learn the technique give it up again after a short time. This also
                                  explains why their have always been so few ebru masters." I suggest
                                  that the MAJORITY of you study the history of marbling (it is
                                  fascinating), rather than jump around to find just the right formulas
                                  to make your day a bit easier! "No pain, no gain" is certainly true!
                                  I'm "still struggling after all these years..."
                                  (and loving it)!
                                • johnacs@pacific.net.sg
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                                    Dear Marlene,
                                    I went to Switzerland a few years ago. Beautiful countryside and mountains.
                                    Actually the forest fire came from neighbouring Indonesia. They burn the
                                    forest to clear land for farming. Happens every year around mid-year.

                                    >Hello Iris, John Ang, Sandy and Jan, and all the other members
                                    >

                                    >Jonacs was the other site that made me rush into the shop and try to
                                    >find the marbling kit…(apart from Galen Berry) thank you John also for
                                    >your offer to answer my questions. I have a few today! I believe you
                                    >live in Singapore and I went there a few years ago. What a change of
                                    >climate and scenery. I loved it. We unfortunately didn’t see much of the
                                    >sun because forest fires in Malaysia brought all the dust and fumes
                                    >over.

                                    I had a hard time searching for Carageenan too. But finally found one
                                    supplier which sells this stuff to manufacturers of puddings, jellies,
                                    ice-creams. Try searching your local yellow pages under "Food gums",
                                    "baking ingredient supplies" etc. Take note the supplier might have many
                                    grades of carageenan. What I did was asked for some samples of a few grades
                                    and tested them for suitability and cost.

                                    >I won’t give up marbling even if the result is still rather poor! And
                                    >as for supplies from the States, you know white powders have no chance
                                    >at all at the customs ­ Galen also said so. I’ll just have to make do
                                    >with Pebeo or find out my own stuff otherwise. Has anyone tried to make
                                    >the size with starch paste? Or tried with oil paints?

                                    The size can last about 4 days (in my case) before it starts to lose its
                                    viscosity and starts to smell.

                                    >How many times can one use the size with Carageenan?

                                  • Gail MacKenzie
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                                      Hello Milena and all,

                                      Yes, you are right, everything works, maybe just not quite the way you hoped
                                      it would!! I am on my third day of playing chemist and slowly turning into
                                      the mad scientist trying to get the result that I want. Who knows, maybe
                                      tomorrow!! I have been working on a acrylic tiger¹s eye for 10 years now.

                                      Best wishes to all. The conference was wonderful and such a pleasure to
                                      meet so many whom I only knew by name. Besides that; I really had fun!!

                                      Regards, Gail

                                    • Jan Bond
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 25, 2002
                                        Marlene,

                                        I haven't had the paint problems you describe with the Pebeo paints--with
                                        sodium alginate as the size or with carrageenan. I didn't buy a whole kit
                                        (haven't seen one here from Pebeo), but bought all the bits separately. Too
                                        bad it's a mystery what they have given you for size.

                                        I definitely have to alum the papers. You'd know you needed alum if your
                                        pattern ran or washed off when you rinsed it. It sounds as if you've got
                                        problems before you get that far, though.

                                        Florence and Venice are marbling centers, so perhaps supplies are available
                                        from Italy.

                                        Jan

                                        Jan

                                      • Melinda Jensen
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 30, 2002
                                          Jan,
                                          You had replied to me earlier about the ratio of water to paint and intensity. I finally got a good ratio with the Utrecht paints. But I sometimes feel the brightness or intensity is low. Now that I have them working do I reduce water for Oxgall to get brightness.
                                          I am so excited that I actually made a pattern today and there is no greater anticipation than waiting to see your finished product.
                                          Appreciate if anyone can answer question above.
                                          Thank you
                                          Melinda
                                          soaplady@...
                                          www.southvalleysoaps.com
                                          I haven't used Utrecht paints, but they are one of the three brands
                                          (Liquitex, Rembrandt, Utrecht) that Galen Berry recommends using.

                                          The ratio is about 4 parts water to one part paint, but will vary with the
                                          intensity you want. I don't measure, and haven't had any problems, so it
                                          seems a forgiving process.

                                          Jan

                                          At 01:33 PM 9/18/2002 -0700, you wrote:
                                          >Jan,
                                          >Could you please tell me how much water you mix with the Liquatex? I have
                                          >the Utrecht paints which I thought would be liquid and am guessing at water
                                          >ratio.
                                          >Thanks,
                                          >Melinda
                                          >soaplady@...
                                          >www.southvalleysoaps.com

                                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                            It really depends on the paint! Some need no dilution, others a lot. You
                                            need to experiment, and sometimes as in the case with cadmium reds, to get
                                            the proper intensity you need MORE water, not less, because it is a heavy
                                            pigment which may weigh more than the size can bear. it can start to sink a
                                            little and you won't even see it, yet the paper will pick up a pale liver
                                            color where you see bright red on the size. If this happens...dilute a
                                            little more to allow it to float better...
                                            Iris Nevins
                                          • Melinda Jensen
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                              Thank you very much,
                                              This is the kind of information you do not get from the books. I appreciate it!
                                              Melinda
                                              soaplady@...
                                              www.southvalleysoaps.com