Re: [Marbling] IMG 2002

  • carylhanc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
      Dear Laura,
      As one of the participants of the IMG, and a first timer, I was totally awed
      by the job that you and your Planning Board did! Your job of organization
      left nothing undone from my viewpoint. I certainly agree with Vi's comment
      about a Marbling Village at Arrowmont, because the inhabitants of that
      Village became a Community in every sense of the word.
      Whenever I started to form a question about what was going on, all I had to
      do was thumb through the booklet, and there was the answer. I especially
      liked the synopses of the lectures and demos. That made it possible to
      really listen to the verbal presentation.
      The barbecue was an incredible finale to the Gathering - the food was great
      and the setting and music really provided a touch of Tennessee.
      I can only begin to guess the man/woman hours that went into the planning,
      and hope that your Board has had a chance to sit down relax and catch a nap
      or two.
      Please extend my thanks to the staff at Arrowmont as well - the food was
      great, and everyone was courteous and seemed on top of whatever situation
      arose.
      And to you, Laura, hats off and thanks again!
      Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
        Yes......wonderful.....Can we do it again next week???? LOL!!

        It felt, by the last day, that I had lived there for a long time and was
        sorry to have to leave. All that was missing were my doggies......And
        Phoebe Easton, I wish you could have been there, we missed you terribly.

        So many friends from all over the world, and new friends. Meeting people I
        had spoken to for many years but never met, Like Nancy Morains, Ingrid
        Weimann, many others. Meeting new kindred spirits, not only in regards to
        marbling, but similar life experiences....(you may know who you are!).
        Marblers I had long admired but never had met such as Hikmet, Nedim
        Sonmez......

        Meeting new friends who did not even speak English....Montse Buxo from
        Spain, who was next to me at the portfolio sale....if you can read this in
        English, I think you are the next marbling superstar, and a delightful
        person.....I gave you a mention in the Guild Of Bookworkers Journal and
        hope it does you some good business-wise.

        Hikmet, Jake and Patty...your tiles are now displayed in my studio. I gave
        my own tile to a good friend who loved it ....with the condition I can look
        at it and remember the fun I had making the tile with you, Jim Currier.
        Great to see former students who are now excellent marblers, great to see
        the demos and how people work. It was like being at the very core of
        creativity, it was very intense.

        And.....Vi......I am so happy you won the wonderful book!! It will be so
        happy with you.You are right...it did need to go to Australia! That was
        something to remember!

        If any of you are passing through New Jersey/New York area....please call!

[...]

      • V. Wilson
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 14, 2002
          You were such a gracious under-bidder Iris! Your congratulatory hug meant
          a great deal. I arrived home this morning, and the book arrived safely
          too. The man at Quarantine in Sydney showed more than passing interest in
          it - think he thought the boards were wood, (hope they were not, Jake!)
          While I was visiting with the Guyots, we paid a visit to Nancy, and Eileen
          Canning was there too, so both their signatures are now in the book. Mimi
          - I know you signed your piece, but somehow I missed getting your signature
          on the page. Sorry!! Guess I will just have to haul the book to the next
          Gathering!

          And I would like to add my sincere thanks and warmest congratulations to
          everyone involved in the organization of the Gathering. It was truly a
          mammoth effort. The sense of community and sharing were wonderful, and I
          doubt that anyone was disappointed - except those who for one reason or
          another were unable to attend. Sincere thanks also to Arrowmont staff for
          providing such great food and facilities.

          One of the highlights was being able to see first hand the incredible
          Modern Marblers folios which Jean-Marie Seaton worked on so lovingly for so
          many years. A person of half her years would have been hard pressed to
          produce a more beautiful tribute to marbling. Truly magnificent. Bravo,
          Jean-Marie!

          Best wishes
          Vi Wilson