Re: My introduction

  • GB Davis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
      Thanks Jill-

      Some more information re: my experiences-

      Paint-Liquitex Acrylics with Marble Ease

      Mordant- Alum

      Paper - White construction paper

      Size- Methocel

      Problems-

      1) Paint sinking in the size. I experimented in cups. When the paint
      would float on the size in the cup I would then try it in the tray.

      2) Disperal. When I did get the paint to float, it would dispesre into
      a thin translucent film.

      3) Pulling sheets. I had problems laying the sheets on the tray. This
      is a skill problem and just needs practice. When I did pull the sheets
      the paints had mixed and becom muddy. When rinsed nothing much "stuck".

      4) Paper. I used construction paper. Construction paper is cheap (duh)
      and now totes an acid free label. I suspect that it is buffered an the
      alum doesn't do its job.

      I suspect that if I worked with an experienced person for a day or two,
      I could solve some of my problems.

      Let me know your thoughts. I know that there is a lot of room for
      improvement!

      Geoff

      > From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
      >
      > Okay--first off you gotta tell us How and What way you were doing the
      > marbling-Then--I am sure there will plenty here who can advise you on
      > methods that will bring better results--Go for it!!!!!!
      > But I sure have had my days when I have marbled and it has ALL gone
      > wrong--so share your story and methods--maybe we all can help.
      > Thanks
      > Jill

      Geoffrey Davis
      The Art Department Studio Camps and Workshops
      The Art Department Graphic Services
      Noblesville, IN

      http://www.ameritech.net/users/artdept/artdept.html
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
        Welcome Peter!
        Please feel free to put the url of your site in the links section of the
        marbling list page.
        Certainly you have a 'lively' introduction to this process--and I can't
        say as I would blame you for becoming a vegetarian!!!!!!
        As you are posting to this list From Germany---may I ask--what are your
        perceptions of the popularity of marbling over there?
        Where I am--here in Ottawa Ontario Canada--I've not met any other
        marblers--or at least--ones who do as much of it as I do. I Know there are
        others here in my region who do some--but we're few and far between.
        Thanks
        Jill

        >From: baumgartner.papierdesign@... (Peter Baumgartner)
        >
        >Hi all,
        >I am a bookbinder from the South of Germany. During my studies in a
        >bindery 1978-1981 I became interested in marbling. My bookbinder-chief,
        >an old experienced crafts-man, had some books about marbling, edited
        >from the beginning to the forties of the last(!) century. In the late
        >seventies there didn't exist actual literature about marbling and so I
        >tried to marble with the instructions of this old books. First I went to
        >the slaughter-house, where a animal-doctor opened the belly of an ox,
        >took out the gall and filled some yellow-green liquid in a
        >coca-cola-bottle - this was my first contact with oxgall (and I am a
        >vegetarian since this day).
        >I am very happy to be a member on this list, because I think it is
        >important to have contact with other marblers.
        >You can find an intoduction to marbling on my website
        >and a "reprint" of a book from the fourties about marbling.
        >
        >Please excuse my bad english,
        >
        >Peter
        >--------------------------
        >Peter Baumgartner
        >www.papierdesign.de
      • GB Davis
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
          Iris-

          Thnak you for the support and suggestions. I'll pull everything out and
          try again soon.

          I have Photo-Flo in stock. Black and white photography is one of our
          regular workshops.

          Thanks,

          Geoff

          IrisNevins wrote:

          > From: IrisNevins <IrisNevins@...>
          >
          > For acrylics, instead of Marble -ease, try Photo-Flo from a camera shop. I
          > use one dropperful into a cup of water, then use that by the drop in the
          > paints until they spread right in relation to each other. Also, sounds like
          > the acrylics are being used too thick.....try thinning with water and see
          > what happens.
          >
          > IrisN.

          > Free shipping through 1/31/2000 at Visualize.com
          > where you'll find limited edition prints & photographs
          > for your home, office, collection or gift-giving needs.

          > Shortcut URL to this page:

          Geoffrey Davis
          The Art Department Studio Camps and Workshops
          The Art Department Graphic Services
          Noblesville, IN

          http://www.ameritech.net/users/artdept/artdept.html
        • IrisNevins
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
            Geoff......EVERYONE has poor beginning marbling experiences! You should see
            my first efforts! I still have them and occassionally show them to students
            for a real laugh! If you stick with it, it will likely start to work one
            day when you least expect it!

            IrisNevins
          • IrisNevins