Re: [Marbling] help please :)

  • Melinda Jensen
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2002
      Jessica,
      I am also new to marbling so can't help much and would also like to find someone to answer questions. I can tell you supplies are available at www.dharmatrading.com
      Hope this helps
      Melinda
      soaplady@...
      www.southvalleysoaps.com
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: frogbells
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 10:07 PM
      Subject: [Marbling] help please :)

      Hi, I'm new to marbling, and I'm having a difficult time finding
      marbling supplies, such as methylcellulose, aluminum sulfate,
      or carrageenan. I have tried six different online retailers,
      catalogs, and art store chains, and everyone says they never
      carried or no longer carry these things. I read somewhere that
      Liquitex concentrated acrylics were good for marbling, but I can't
      find those either.

      Can anyone recommend to me a supplier that they used
      recently? I'd also welcome any suggestions as to what paints
      are best (will any old acrylics work, if you add gall?) or the merits
      of methylcellulose vs. carrageenan. I've done a bit of reading on
      the topic but first-person advice from real people is always so
      much better. Thanks!!

      Jessica

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2002
        You can try either my website or Colophon Book Arts Supply or Galen Berry
        or Diane Maurer-Mathison for either traditional watercolor or acrylic
        marbling supplies.

        I advise using one of us, not for the money, but because we are all
        marblers, and can advise you on the use of the materials every step of the
        way. Often the kits or whatever in art stores allow you to marble but not
        well, you generally cannot get any tech help either. We are all dedicated
        to keeping the traditiona alive and have been marbling a long time. Our
        supplies are formulated by very long term experienced marblers,
        specifically for the marbling process.

        Iris Nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com
      • mcclend364
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2002
          Hi Jessica,

          I've been marbling for a year now and have by-passed a great deal of the frustrating experiences many people experience when beginning in marbling. The secret is to work with materials are already known to be compatible, because there are plenty of variables to balance without having the question in your head "is this even possible to work?" Believe me you will ask this question on some days anyway.

          My formula for a successful beginning? Diane Maurer-Mathison's book 'The Ultimate Marbling Handbook' , Iris Nevins' '105 Helpful Hints'. I buy all my supplies from Colophon . http://home.earthlink.net/~colophon/ I'm sure the other sources Iris Nevins mentioned are excellent as well.

          Have fun with it - Jeff