Re: [Marbling] Beware = Being Aware....

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18, 2002
      Thanks for the post, Dolores.....I too remember those days. I had NO ONE to
      teach me in 1978 and would have appreciated ANY instruction no matter how
      crude. I had a xerox of that same book,(think it was Woolnough) and DID go
      to my local butcher and got a quart of bile....he thought I was mad!

      I nearly blew up the bottle of gall ....it builds up gases, and the load
      pop I heard when I opened the jar two weeks later, not to mention the
      stink....well, just a funny memory now.

      I get my best Stormont using plastic sqeeze bottles....very traditional,
      right? To give them up would be like going from a washing machine back to a
      scrub board. The old timers would have jumped at the chance to have our
      modern materials and methods.

      The part of maintaining tradition I do feel is important, is to arrive at
      the same look, as closely as possible, not matter how you get there. The
      old papers were amazing....and my main thing is the period from the 1600's
      though late 19th century. I come to this from a love ob books, so what was
      seen on the bindings is my orientation. I do artwork too with marbling, but
      just love getting the room filled with papers that look like the 1820's.

      The bulk of my work is recreating these papers for book restorers, matching
      as well as possible, the old papers.

      Iris Nevins
    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 18, 2002
        Thank you, Jake. I am looking forward to your lecture!! Best wishes, Gail
        M.