Re: [Marbling] The Study of Tradition

  • Gail MacKenzie
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2002

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 17, 2002
        I don't know who wrote the post "BEWARE", but thanks for the compliments to
        myself and Jake!

        Anyway, while I don't consider it such a crime as implied, a lot of people
        do take one or two workshops and then teach, and have a lot of problems.
        Even the most experienced teachers have problems, embarrassing ones, right
        in the middle of a demo or class.

        It is very hard to take marbling out of the environment you are used to
        ....you just cannot expect it to behave in the same ways. Marbling is even
        quite unpredictable in your own studion from one season to the next, from
        one day to the next.

        There are two attitudes towards marbling as I see it.....one is to really
        study and immerse oneself in the tradition, which has been one of my
        greatest satisfactions in life.....or one can do it for fun. There is
        nothing wrong with that either. Marbling is really fun to do with your
        kids, just let the paints fly and be amazed at the results.

        marbling seems to make people happy, even on a really superficial level,
        and that os OK too. Sometimes I just long for those days again...when I was
        just starting out. Sometimes....often....marbling is a very tedious job, no
        fun at all. I get requests often for non-traditional papers I would never
        dream of making. I just marbled 560 of the same paper in two weeks! I don't
        ever want to see that paper again!!

        Next week I will be thankfully putting orders aside and shall make the
        papers I am hoping to bring to IMG. That will be fun. Need to just go back
        to the 1820's for a while and immerse in tradition!

        Iris Nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com
      • Gail MacKenzie
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 17, 2002
          > I don't know who wrote the post "BEWARE", but thanks for the compliments to
          > myself and Jake!
          >
          > Anyway, while I don't consider it such a crime as implied, a lot of people
          > do take one or two workshops and then teach, and have a lot of problems.
          > Even the most experienced teachers have problems, embarrassing ones, right
          > in the middle of a demo or class.

          Thank you, Iris, for such a sensible response. Just as several years ago,
          when a ³marbling tribunal² to rank and judge was proposed, you stepped in
          and added a modicum of good common sense. Again, looking forward to the
          conference...tolling bells or not! Gail