The Study of Tradition

  • mpmh60201
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2002
      Jake and Iris have truly studied past traditions and also delve into
      what is available in materials and possibilities today. They are a
      rare breed in the "glut" marbling market of "If it's porous, we'll
      marble it. Who cares what it looks like, because we really don't know
      the difference and either do the buyers." I have seen beauty to cry
      over and the worst stuff ever imaginable as well. Listen to these
      marblers....present your work (through demos, teaching, sales, etc.)
      in the best possible way...through research, personal study and hard
      work. Be recognized for your EXCELLENCE in the craft and read
      carefully the following advice:

      "BEWARE!
      Beware! Those who pretend to teach without knowledge & ignorant
      themselves. For they will encourage the Master's wrath to follow and
      exclude them for eternity from the ring of true profession.
      Beware! The effects they produce being sufficient to impress only a
      novice. Though meager in creativity, they are strong of willful
      foolishness and waste. Beware! There is a novice fool soon to be
      unleashed to the masses. Beware! I warn you as the evening bell tolls
      there will be a pretender among you. Beware! Is it you? Beware!"

      I give this verse to all my beginning students. It has stopped
      several in their (teaching) tracks and they have eventually thanked me
      for it. Others coul
    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16, 2002

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 17, 2002
          I don't know who wrote the post "BEWARE", but thanks for the compliments to
          myself and Jake!

          Anyway, while I don't consider it such a crime as implied, a lot of people
          do take one or two workshops and then teach, and have a lot of problems.
          Even the most experienced teachers have problems, embarrassing ones, right
          in the middle of a demo or class.

          It is very hard to take marbling out of the environment you are used to
          ....you just cannot expect it to behave in the same ways. Marbling is even
          quite unpredictable in your own studion from one season to the next, from
          one day to the next.

          There are two attitudes towards marbling as I see it.....one is to really
          study and immerse oneself in the tradition, which has been one of my
          greatest satisfactions in life.....or one can do it for fun. There is
          nothing wrong with that either. Marbling is really fun to do with your
          kids, just let the paints fly and be amazed at the results.

          marbling seems to make people happy, even on a really superficial level,
          and that os OK too. Sometimes I just long for those days again...when I was
          just starting out. Sometimes....often....marbling is a very tedious job, no
          fun at all. I get requests often for non-traditional papers I would never
          dream of making. I just marbled 560 of the same paper in two weeks! I don't
          ever want to see that paper again!!

          Next week I will be thankfully putting orders aside and shall make the
          papers I am hoping to bring to IMG. That will be fun. Need to just go back
          to the 1820's for a while and immerse in tradition!

          Iris Nevins
          www.marblingpaper.com
        • Gail MacKenzie
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 17, 2002
            > I don't know who wrote the post "BEWARE", but thanks for the compliments to
            > myself and Jake!
            >
            > Anyway, while I don't consider it such a crime as implied, a lot of people
            > do take one or two workshops and then teach, and have a lot of problems.
            > Even the most experienced teachers have problems, embarrassing ones, right
            > in the middle of a demo or class.

            Thank you, Iris, for such a sensible response. Just as several years ago,
            when a ³marbling tribunal² to rank and judge was proposed, you stepped in
            and added a modicum of good common sense. Again, looking forward to the
            conference...tolling bells or not! Gail