[Marbling] Marbling in the classroom: "Tradition" vs. "Dilution"

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2002
      A lot of great points, Jake. I think the tradition MUST evolve...but we
      should REMEMBER the old ways too, and use as needed.

      I feel, especially as a paint maker, that if you find something that works
      better....USE it. I feel the old-timers would have used the improved
      materials too, had they known about them.

      The decision to no longer use indigo was a hard one. I would still make up
      indigo marbling paints in bulk if requested, but the stuff RUBS soooooo
      badly. I have spent nearly 25 years trying to develop watercolor marbling
      paints that have little to no rub. This is so important when your papers
      are geared towards bookbinding. That is where nearly all of mine end up.
      The offsetting can ruin a rare book. Yes, you can spray them with fixative
      after....but it's a bit time consuming and toxic to have to do this to over
      100 papers a week. So I have my "Navy". it's not the same, but close, and
      doesn't cause trouble.

      Things like this....I think it's important to evolve in the tradition,
      materials wise, while still keeping a traditional looking product.