Boku Undo for combed patterns

  • enidadams
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2002
      Hi Jake,
      I have taught many classes using Boku Undo colors, for suminagashi
      and on methyl cellulose for combed patterns. They have worked
      reliably well with tap water from many places and prints adhere to
      many inexpensive papers without alum. Most schools have a large
      supply of colored construction and pale yellow morilla paper which
      take suminagashi prints well and are easier to handle than washi.
      They also work for combed patterns without alum. For learning
      patternmaking techniques where archival issues are not a concern,
      these and rough newsprint sketch pads work extremely well. I have
      found Mohawk superfine to be too unabsorbent for suminagashi, but
      blockprinting paper works very well. Speedball made a great one but
      it was discontinued.

      The addition of the photo flo does not shortern the life of the color
      like oxgall. I have kept colors adjusted for suminagashi in the
      concentrated form for months in well sealed glass bottles with
      eyedropper tops(available from Dick Blick). These make dispensing
      small amounts of color to a plastic pallete for suminagashi very easy
      (the dropper can also be used to return unused color to the bottle.
      The same bottles work well for applying diluted colors for combed
      patterns(1 part color/2 parts water/approximately 1 drop photo flo
      per tsp, more for yellow, orange, red, black and less for green,
      blue). Squeeze bottles also work. Each student gets a tray to print
      12x18 sheets and shares a set of rakes/combs. Many subtle colors can
      be mixed from the paint box primaries. Though they may seem more
      like dye than many acrylics, Boku Undo colors are very finely ground
      pigments with a PVA base. I also sell the Boku Undo colors,
      including custom colors. I dye silks professionally and have not
      successfully marbled with dyes, but would like to hear from anyone
      who has.

      Best of luck. Feel free to call or e-mail for more information.
      Enid Adams enid@... 540-253-5678