Hi!

  • glb662002
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 20, 2002
      Just thought that I would introduce myself to the group.
      My name is Gina, I am married mother of one 12year old girl. I have
      been a stamper for about two years now and have just come to the
      point of making my own paper and hopefully marbling as well!
      However, I need all the advise I can get. At this point I would like
      to use any KISS methods anyone has till I get the hang of it.
      TTFN
      Gina
    • susaglenn
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 25, 2002
        Hi, Gina,
        I'm sorry, but I have been at this full time for 2 years & I have
        discovered a lot of things about it, but nothing is particularly
        simple about any of it except for all of the components taken
        individually. So your request for a simple method stumps me. My
        advice is to get every marbling book you can get your hands on &
        study them. Study the archives here; there is a wealth of good
        advice for free. Get yourself a tray (dimensions determined by what
        you want to do), some paint (type determined by what you are after),
        some size (methylcel or carrageenan - there's good & bad about both,
        you choose), the various accoutrements, and have a go at it. Even at
        the beginning the process is very addicting and wonderful. And
        frustrating. You will learn by doing. Good luck!
        Susa Glenn

        - In Marbling@y..., "glb662002" <burgessg@b...> wrote:
        > Just thought that I would introduce myself to the group.
        > My name is Gina, I am married mother of one 12year old girl. I
        have
        > been a stamper for about two years now and have just come to the
        > point of making my own paper and hopefully marbling as well!
        > However, I need all the advise I can get. At this point I would
        like
        > to use any KISS methods anyone has till I get the hang of it.
        > TTFN
        > Gina
      • jemiljan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 25, 2002
          I wonder for those who want to try marbling for the very first time if
          recommending a Boku Undo Suminagashi kit would be a good
          idea. It really seems to me the most easy method of marbling,
          and you really don't have to make anything up. Paper is an issue
          though.

          I would love to hear if there is a cheaper paper that works well
          with these colors. Soon i will punge into the world of arts
          education, and this really seems to me the most suitable
          method for elementary school art teachers. It would be
          interesting to hear comments from others who have taught or
          demonstrated marbling in a school setting.

          Jake Benson
        • dkmaurer1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 25, 2002
            Hello All,

            You beat me to it. Iwas going to respond that suminagashi using Boku Undo
            dyes is the way to go! It is easy and foolproof if you follow the
            instructions using one drop of photoflo to adjust a teaspoon of color and
            stir well each time you apply the color. Forget the instructions in the box
            of Boku Undo colors. I sell all the supplies for suminagashi and use and
            recommend Loew-Cornell Oriental rice paper. It is $13.75 for forty-eight
            12X18sheets. Not bad, really...... Charcoal papers and unsized HMP also
            usually work well. Mohawk Superfine (more expensive)is also great. Go to my
            website www.dianemaurer.com to see examples of suminagashi which looks very
            little like traditional marbling but is beautiful in its own right --
            especially the double-image designs. I'll be demonstrating suminagashi at the
            IMG if you get a chance to stop by. I'd be happy to e-mail an instruction
            sheet to anyone interested.

            Best,
            Diane Maurer
            www.dianemaurer.com
          • James M Mahoney
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 25, 2002
              Jake, in reply to your inquiry about suminagashi vs. traditional marbling
              in a school setting -

              Well, I guess I am the other side of the coin, Diane (hi!). I have both
              demonstrated and taught marbling in the elementary school setting, from
              kindergarten through 5th grade. I will preface my opinion with the
              statement that I really love both of these styles, so hopefully my
              feelings have nothing to do with outcomes. I have found that the
              suminagashi is much easier for set-up and supplies (and I love your Boku
              Undo colors, Diane); however, I have not found these little ones
              (particularly the lower grades) to have the dexterity and the
              "gentleness" in application that makes the suminagashi successful; it
              doesn't seem to hold their attention as well - perhaps because the
              patterns and colors on the paper are much lighter and delicate. All the
              kids I have worked with, from kindergarten on up, have been successful
              and have been mesmerized by the traditional marbling - they love it! The
              great thing is that they are each and every one successful - instant
              gratification - and they have something in their hands they have created
              that is beautiful to them! Before taking it into the school setting, I
              tried it out first on my grandsons, at the time aged 3 to 9 yrs. old,
              with great success and very few problems. True, it does involve a little
              more to do it the traditional way, but I adapted several steps and found
              it workable with kids everywhere from a carpeted Barnes & Noble bookstore
              to classrooms to school ground art fairs. I would be glad to share
              particulars with anyone who's interested.

              Just my own experience with kids and the processes - hope others will
              also share theirs.

              Monita Mahoney (Greer, SC)

              On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:32:16 -0000 "jemiljan" <jemiljan@...>
              writes:
              > I wonder for those who want to try marbling for the very first time
              > if
              > recommending a Boku Undo Suminagashi kit would be a good
              > idea. It really seems to me the most easy method of marbling,
              > and you really don't have to make anything up. Paper is an issue
              > though.
              >
              > I would love to hear if there is a cheaper paper that works well
              > with these colors. Soon i will punge into the world of arts
              > education, and this really seems to me the most suitable
              > method for elementary school art teachers. It would be
              > interesting to hear comments from others who have taught or
              > demonstrated marbling in a school setting.
              >
              > Jake Benson

            • Carol Scott
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 26, 2002
                Dear All,

                I too have had a great deal of experience teaching little ones both
                styles of marbling.and agree with James Mahoney, that more success is
                with the traditional method.His reasons are so accurately and elequently
                stated. One tip that I use at the grade school level is to set up
                each group of tanks with 4 or 5 colors. I then let individuals choose
                3 or 4 of those colors for their individual sheets. I get the most
                milage out of these colors by letting the kids use different colors of
                papers.

                Carol Scott

              • tmarthad
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 29, 2002
                  --- In Marbling@y..., dkmaurer1@a... wrote:
                  > Hello All,
                  >
                  > You beat me to it. Iwas going to respond that suminagashi using
                  Boku Undo
                  > dyes is the way to go! It is easy and foolproof if you follow the
                  > instructions using one drop of photoflo to adjust a teaspoon of
                  color and
                  > stir well each time you apply the color. Forget the instructions
                  in the box
                  > of Boku Undo colors. I sell all the supplies for suminagashi and
                  use and
                  > recommend Loew-Cornell Oriental rice paper. It is $13.75 for forty-
                  eight
                  > 12X18sheets. Not bad, really...... Charcoal papers and unsized HMP
                  also
                  > usually work well. Mohawk Superfine (more expensive)is also great.
                  Go to my
                  > website www.dianemaurer.com to see examples of suminagashi which
                  looks very

                  Diane, I have used the Oriental Rice Paper before but have lost my
                  source. Please send me your catalog of that and other supplies.
                  Martha MTDATPW@AOL>Com Thanks

                • molliann@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 9, 2002
                    Jake, about suminagashi with kindergarten and up - It has been part of my art
                    curriculum for several years. Until this year I used speedball ink and
                    assorted acrylics and photo flo dispersant with varied success. This past
                    year, I used the boku inks with much more consistant results.
                    As someone has already mentioned, that horrible cheap manilla paper really
                    works quite well. If your budget allows, also use Diane's Rice paper. I gave
                    the students the manilla first and then the delicate rice paper later in the
                    session. The rice paper was harder for the younger students to handle but the
                    colors on the rice paper are more vivid.
                    The younger students (kindergarten - second grade) have trouble controlling
                    the the bamboo brushes and the ink. This past year, I gave them pencils to
                    dip in the ink and placed the ink in baby food jars. Each color ink had its
                    own color of pencil - blue pencil - blue ink. I also limited the colors.
                    Beginning with black and dispersant and slowly adding additional colors- up
                    to three - black, blue and red.
                    I set the classroom up with two students to a tank (large plastic containers
                    from Wal-mart). I have taught up to 24 students at one time using this
                    method.- many classes are kindergarten.
                    Suminagashi is a great marbling project for students - it is not expensive,
                    it introduces them to marbling, and they love it. Good luck!
                  • mpmh60201
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 10, 2002
                      Not quite sure what some of you are teaching the young ones.
                      Please! If you are teaching suminagashi...DO IT RIGHT and don't insult
                      the many generations of the revered Hiroba family. Getting the colors
                      to float on water does not mean that it is "suminagashi". Even some
                      of the most exquisite current book samples are (much) more
                      contemporary versions of this ancient craft. Perhaps, at such a young
                      age, these students should be taught basic "Marbling on Water" (or
                      Marbling 101?) rather than calling it suminagashi. I'm thinking that
                      the technique is REALLY GETTING WATERED DOWN, and doesn't, in the
                      least, resemble true suminagashi. Treat yourselves to a fine example
                      of this exquisite Japanese paper by ordering a lovely sheet from
                      Aiko's Art Materials and Supplies in Chicago (USA). Aiko Nakane (now
                      retired) was the first person to import Japanese papers in the USA
                      many, many years ago. The shop is at 3347 N. Clark Street, Chicago,
                      IL, 60657 (773.404.5600), a treat to visit...a "must" if you come to
                      the windy city!...filled with treasures beyond description when it
                      comes to handmade Japanese papers.

                      By the way, a pad or roll of Sumi-e, or Shoji paper is quite
                      reasonable at most art supply stores. Students of oriental brush
                      painting use it all the time. The Shoji is stronger and can be
                      handled with ease. Some sumi-e rolls have long fibers in the pulp and
                      this prevents tearing when wet. Handmade Japanese papers have enabled
                      me to create scrolls that are five to seven feet long. The papers
                      often look very delicate, but are actually quite strong. Papers made
                      in India and Thailand also work well and are a little more reasonable
                      in price. These are usually large sheets and can be cut down to fit
                      small trays.

                      I have been teaching suminagashi for about eighteen years, only after
                      getting my papers approved by Aiko. There is much interest at ALL age
                      levels, and I'm currently instructing a summer class in delicately
                      beautiful "advanced suminagashi" (students must already know the
                      basics). The oldest participant is 80 years young. It is her third
                      class and she hasn't missed one session of it! How wonderful it would
                      be if a few of the "wee" ones out there continue to learn for many
                      more years. Who knows, with much encouragement...perhaps a new
                      "Master" might emerge! Keep introduc