Re: combs and glues

  • susaglenn
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11 7:56 AM
      I just love hot glue. I wouldn't use anything else. Keep in mind
      that there is hot glue (the kind that will burn you when you try to
      smooth it with your finger) & then there's the new "cool melt" hot
      glue that doesn't work worth a flip because it doesn't get hot
      enough. The old fashioned hot glue is the way to go. Just don't get
      it on you. I hot glue onto scrap wood pieces (free from the cabinet
      shop) or scrap plexiglass (free sometimes from the glass & mirror
      shop). I don't encase the tines. If I decide that I made the spacing
      wrong, or if a toothpick breaks, I can change it by reheating the
      hot glue. These combs & rakes are not pretty but they work & they
      are very fast to make.

      Anybody got any pointers on how to keep combs clean? Right now I'm
      using a pair of wet sponges that I have standing on edge in a
      RubberMaid cutlery tray & I'm laying the comb between the sponges &
      wiping it off a section at a time after each pass through the tray.
      Is there a better way? I am about to go to a bigger tray & I can see
      that this comb maintenance will be time consuming.

      Susa Glenn

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11 9:27 AM
        You wouldn't believe how FILTHY my combs are!! Embarrassment!

        I wipe them off with a dry paper towel if they start dropping "gloop" spots
        onot my patterns when I first stick them in. Maybe every 80-100 sheets does
        it cause a problem.

        That's waterbase. Acrylic more buildup, but also use towels.