[Marbling] re: combs and glues

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2002
      I have a seven foot, very unwieldy comb I made almost 20 years ago with hot
      glue and it is still in pretty good shape. It is awkward, always falling on
      things (and me!) but the hot glue has needed maybe one or two repairs to
      little spots in all that time. I swear by it!

      Iris Nevins
    • susaglenn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002
        I just love hot glue. I wouldn't use anything else. Keep in mind
        that there is hot glue (the kind that will burn you when you try to
        smooth it with your finger) & then there's the new "cool melt" hot
        glue that doesn't work worth a flip because it doesn't get hot
        enough. The old fashioned hot glue is the way to go. Just don't get
        it on you. I hot glue onto scrap wood pieces (free from the cabinet
        shop) or scrap plexiglass (free sometimes from the glass & mirror
        shop). I don't encase the tines. If I decide that I made the spacing
        wrong, or if a toothpick breaks, I can change it by reheating the
        hot glue. These combs & rakes are not pretty but they work & they
        are very fast to make.

        Anybody got any pointers on how to keep combs clean? Right now I'm
        using a pair of wet sponges that I have standing on edge in a
        RubberMaid cutlery tray & I'm laying the comb between the sponges &
        wiping it off a section at a time after each pass through the tray.
        Is there a better way? I am about to go to a bigger tray & I can see
        that this comb maintenance will be time consuming.

        Susa Glenn

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002
          You wouldn't believe how FILTHY my combs are!! Embarrassment!

          I wipe them off with a dry paper towel if they start dropping "gloop" spots
          onot my patterns when I first stick them in. Maybe every 80-100 sheets does
          it cause a problem.

          That's waterbase. Acrylic more buildup, but also use towels.