Re: [Marbling] re: combs and glues

  • del&maryStubbs
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2002
      Hot glue is not intended for permanent installations such as furniture,
      rails etc. Hot glue has poor adhesion compared to other glues - it
      is meant for jigs and fixtures and/or temporary use . It's use for a
      marbling comb would be an example of a good use for hot glue......it may
      come apart in time - but would be easy to re-do, and has the advantage
      of being waterproof. Mary Thouin-Stubbs

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2002
        I have a seven foot, very unwieldy comb I made almost 20 years ago with hot
        glue and it is still in pretty good shape. It is awkward, always falling on
        things (and me!) but the hot glue has needed maybe one or two repairs to
        little spots in all that time. I swear by it!

        Iris Nevins
      • susaglenn
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002
          I just love hot glue. I wouldn't use anything else. Keep in mind
          that there is hot glue (the kind that will burn you when you try to
          smooth it with your finger) & then there's the new "cool melt" hot
          glue that doesn't work worth a flip because it doesn't get hot
          enough. The old fashioned hot glue is the way to go. Just don't get
          it on you. I hot glue onto scrap wood pieces (free from the cabinet
          shop) or scrap plexiglass (free sometimes from the glass & mirror
          shop). I don't encase the tines. If I decide that I made the spacing
          wrong, or if a toothpick breaks, I can change it by reheating the
          hot glue. These combs & rakes are not pretty but they work & they
          are very fast to make.

          Anybody got any pointers on how to keep combs clean? Right now I'm
          using a pair of wet sponges that I have standing on edge in a
          RubberMaid cutlery tray & I'm laying the comb between the sponges &
          wiping it off a section at a time after each pass through the tray.
          Is there a better way? I am about to go to a bigger tray & I can see
          that this comb maintenance will be time consuming.

          Susa Glenn

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002
            You wouldn't believe how FILTHY my combs are!! Embarrassment!

            I wipe them off with a dry paper towel if they start dropping "gloop" spots
            onot my patterns when I first stick them in. Maybe every 80-100 sheets does
            it cause a problem.

            That's waterbase. Acrylic more buildup, but also use towels.