re: combs and glues

  • Carol Scott
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10 4:59 AM
      From a woodworker who put up a wooden chair rail he will testify that
      hotglue is not a permanent glue as one by one, all four sides fell off
      within a 24 hour time frame about 6 months later. He still uses hotglue
      (because it is fast setting), in addition to a more permanant glue.

      What are other peoples experiences with glues?

      Carol Scott
    • del&maryStubbs
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10 7:28 AM
        Hot glue is not intended for permanent installations such as furniture,
        rails etc. Hot glue has poor adhesion compared to other glues - it
        is meant for jigs and fixtures and/or temporary use . It's use for a
        marbling comb would be an example of a good use for hot glue......it may
        come apart in time - but would be easy to re-do, and has the advantage
        of being waterproof. Mary Thouin-Stubbs

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10 10:28 AM
          I have a seven foot, very unwieldy comb I made almost 20 years ago with hot
          glue and it is still in pretty good shape. It is awkward, always falling on
          things (and me!) but the hot glue has needed maybe one or two repairs to
          little spots in all that time. I swear by it!

          Iris Nevins
        • susaglenn
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11 7:56 AM
            I just love hot glue. I wouldn't use anything else. Keep in mind
            that there is hot glue (the kind that will burn you when you try to
            smooth it with your finger) & then there's the new "cool melt" hot
            glue that doesn't work worth a flip because it doesn't get hot
            enough. The old fashioned hot glue is the way to go. Just don't get
            it on you. I hot glue onto scrap wood pieces (free from the cabinet
            shop) or scrap plexiglass (free sometimes from the glass & mirror
            shop). I don't encase the tines. If I decide that I made the spacing
            wrong, or if a toothpick breaks, I can change it by reheating the
            hot glue. These combs & rakes are not pretty but they work & they
            are very fast to make.

            Anybody got any pointers on how to keep combs clean? Right now I'm
            using a pair of wet sponges that I have standing on edge in a
            RubberMaid cutlery tray & I'm laying the comb between the sponges &
            wiping it off a section at a time after each pass through the tray.
            Is there a better way? I am about to go to a bigger tray & I can see
            that this comb maintenance will be time consuming.

            Susa Glenn

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 11 9:27 AM
              You wouldn't believe how FILTHY my combs are!! Embarrassment!

              I wipe them off with a dry paper towel if they start dropping "gloop" spots
              onot my patterns when I first stick them in. Maybe every 80-100 sheets does
              it cause a problem.

              That's waterbase. Acrylic more buildup, but also use towels.