re: one more way to make a comb

  • carolscott56560
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2002
      Here's one more way to make a comb that I learned from a bookmaker.
      It is based on the principle of the pins on paper rolls that you get at
      office supply stores.
      1. Cut a piece of paper 1" X the length that you want your comb
      2. Fold paper in half lengthwise
      3. With pencil draw a pencil line about an 1/8" inch away from the
      folded edge running the entire length
      4. With a 2 pointed divider set your divider distance to the desired
      spacing that you wish your pins on your comb to be
      5. On top of a cushioned surface start marking your intervals
      piercing
      through the paper
      6. Open up paper and insert pins. You may want to fold or trim the
      top or bottom edges.
      7. Glue between two strips of wood.

      Other notes:
      1. To expand on the flexible comb idea I don't see why you couldn't
      use a stiff fabric like tyvek
      2. To make the hole making faster I use a sewing machine with no
      thread, setting my stitch length at the desired interval. With this
      quick method I probably lose some accuracy.
      3. When I am finished making my comb I realize that Galen Berry's
      comb is a bargain at $15.00.

      Carol Scott
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2002
        Might I add that it is best to use hot glue. Waterproof. Some other glues
        leech into the tray and repel color.

        Iris Nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com
      • del&maryStubbs
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2002
          ok - one more -

          I'm not sure if we came up with this idea or if we got the idea from a
          marbling book somewhere along the line........we use what we call "foam
          core"......it is a rigid foam presentation/poster board, about 1/4"
          thick (about 5 mm).......insert toothpicks or whatever you like to use
          at whatever measurements you want. The foam seems to hold the
          toothpicks quite well.

          I liked the collapsable comb idea.....and it ocurred to me, a person
          could do that with the foam core.....it could be scored and cut half way
          through (leaving the heavy paper to hold the other side), then folded.
          then a thin wood strip and some sort of clamp could be used to hold
          it together ......what about those large "potato chip bag clamps"?
          Mary Thouin-Stubbs