combs

  • hhumler
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7 10:12 AM
      thanks so much for the great idea for making portable combs. Does anyone else
      have unique or different ideas for making combs and rakes of any sort? It's always nice to find a way
      to improve one's equipment.
    • mpmh60201
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8 8:04 PM
        --- In Marbling@y..., "hhumler" <hhumler@t...> wrote:
        > thanks so much for the great idea for making portable combs. Does
        anyone else
        > have unique or different ideas for making combs and rakes of any
        sort? It's always nice to find a way
        > to improve one's equipment.

        We have used yardsticks and drapery hooks for many student workshops.
        This type of hook has a curvred loop at one end and a sharp point at
        the other.
        The hooks can be moved to any measurement on the yardstick...or
        removed to allow for the wall of the tank. The stick can easily be
        cut for small tanks. For delicate work combs we glue T-Pins through
        balsa wood after the combs are marked for spacing. Or if you have a
        small drill, the wood can be a sturdier species such as pine. When
        drilled and the pins glued in place...varnish. This method works well
        with plastic hair roller pins for wonderful rakes. (Do not varnish the
        pins!) Mine have lasted for many years. If you do not glue the pins
        into the holes, these too can be moved about for different spacing.
        Colophon Book Art Supply sells a dandy comb with teeth of brass...fine
        indeed for Non Pariel patterns!
      • anthonianthonianthoni
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 2011
          Dear marblers:
          suppose you wish to do a nonapriel:
          Now; how far apart are the teeth in the comb that you use for this pattern?
        • D or Jer Guffey
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 18, 2011
            Depends on how wide you want your pattern to be...I have numerous combs from 1/16" apart to 1/4" apart. It is easy to make your own combs with needles and balsa wood.

            d.guffey

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 19, 2011
              well... my coarser combs ( and some of my rakes) are made by taping toothpicks to pieces of pasteboard using ductape... this method does not work very well with combs finer than 1 cm, and the teeth tend to get knocked out of alignment after about a month of use. still, this was how I made my first comb, and it is still holding out quite well!

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hhumler" <hhumler@...> wrote:

              > thanks so much for the great idea for making portable combs. Does anyone else
              > have unique or different ideas for making combs and rakes of any sort? It's always nice to find a way
              > to improve one's equipment.

            • Antonio Velez Celemín
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 19, 2011
                Try these methods...