Re: [Marbling] IMG 2002

  • Laura Sims
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 5, 2002
      Dear Serra,

      I have forwarded your request onto Arrowmont. We will
      see each of you on September 3.

      Safe journey, Laura

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Laura Sims
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
        Hello all,

        A brief report of the International Marblers'
        Gathering will be given soon. Vi Wilson called it out
        "Marbling Village" since programs, food and housing
        were all available in one place.

        It was a rich experience providing satisfaction to
        those or scholarly interests, as well as to those who
        are brand new to the experiences of marbling.
        Presentations were outstanding and the Research and
        Development Room for trying different products and
        techniques was a place of enthusiastic chaos.

        The cook-out on the last night in the Great Smokey
        Mountains was a perfect ending to an amazing weekend.
        You haven't seen anything until you've seen Turkish
        Belly Dancing to Blue Grass Music. We waltzed and
        circled and twirled until the band packed up. The
        trolley ride back home was filled with laughter and
        satisfied yawns.

        Everyone was clearly lonely for their community/tribe
        and so happy to be together for a little while.

        We are very excited to report that there will be a
        newsletter to help maintain our connections. Money
        was raised during the auction so that we can now purse
        a Society of Marbling.

        Best to you all and if I didn't meet you this time I
        truely look forward to meeting you in the future.

        Warm Regards, Laura Sims

        Yahoo! - We Remember
        http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute
      • carylhanc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
          Dear Laura,
          As one of the participants of the IMG, and a first timer, I was totally awed
          by the job that you and your Planning Board did! Your job of organization
          left nothing undone from my viewpoint. I certainly agree with Vi's comment
          about a Marbling Village at Arrowmont, because the inhabitants of that
          Village became a Community in every sense of the word.
          Whenever I started to form a question about what was going on, all I had to
          do was thumb through the booklet, and there was the answer. I especially
          liked the synopses of the lectures and demos. That made it possible to
          really listen to the verbal presentation.
          The barbecue was an incredible finale to the Gathering - the food was great
          and the setting and music really provided a touch of Tennessee.
          I can only begin to guess the man/woman hours that went into the planning,
          and hope that your Board has had a chance to sit down relax and catch a nap
          or two.
          Please extend my thanks to the staff at Arrowmont as well - the food was
          great, and everyone was courteous and seemed on top of whatever situation
          arose.
          And to you, Laura, hats off and thanks again!
          Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
            Yes......wonderful.....Can we do it again next week???? LOL!!

            It felt, by the last day, that I had lived there for a long time and was
            sorry to have to leave. All that was missing were my doggies......And
            Phoebe Easton, I wish you could have been there, we missed you terribly.

            So many friends from all over the world, and new friends. Meeting people I
            had spoken to for many years but never met, Like Nancy Morains, Ingrid
            Weimann, many others. Meeting new kindred spirits, not only in regards to
            marbling, but similar life experiences....(you may know who you are!).
            Marblers I had long admired but never had met such as Hikmet, Nedim
            Sonmez......

            Meeting new friends who did not even speak English....Montse Buxo from
            Spain, who was next to me at the portfolio sale....if you can read this in
            English, I think you are the next marbling superstar, and a delightful
            person.....I gave you a mention in the Guild Of Bookworkers Journal and
            hope it does you some good business-wise.

            Hikmet, Jake and Patty...your tiles are now displayed in my studio. I gave
            my own tile to a good friend who loved it ....with the condition I can look
            at it and remember the fun I had making the tile with you, Jim Currier.
            Great to see former students who are now excellent marblers, great to see
            the demos and how people work. It was like being at the very core of
            creativity, it was very intense.

            And.....Vi......I am so happy you won the wonderful book!! It will be so
            happy with you.You are right...it did need to go to Australia! That was
            something to remember!

            If any of you are passing through New Jersey/New York area....please call!

[...]

          • V. Wilson
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 14, 2002
              You were such a gracious under-bidder Iris! Your congratulatory hug meant
              a great deal. I arrived home this morning, and the book arrived safely
              too. The man at Quarantine in Sydney showed more than passing interest in
              it - think he thought the boards were wood, (hope they were not, Jake!)
              While I was visiting with the Guyots, we paid a visit to Nancy, and Eileen
              Canning was there too, so both their signatures are now in the book. Mimi
              - I know you signed your piece, but somehow I missed getting your signature
              on the page. Sorry!! Guess I will just have to haul the book to the next
              Gathering!

              And I would like to add my sincere thanks and warmest congratulations to
              everyone involved in the organization of the Gathering. It was truly a
              mammoth effort. The sense of community and sharing were wonderful, and I
              doubt that anyone was disappointed - except those who for one reason or
              another were unable to attend. Sincere thanks also to Arrowmont staff for
              providing such great food and facilities.

              One of the highlights was being able to see first hand the incredible
              Modern Marblers folios which Jean-Marie Seaton worked on so lovingly for so
              many years. A person of half her years would have been hard pressed to
              produce a more beautiful tribute to marbling. Truly magnificent. Bravo,
              Jean-Marie!

              Best wishes
              Vi Wilson