IMG 2002

  • Laura Sims
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2002
      Hello all,

      With only 2 months until the Gathering I wanted to
      check in briefly and give you an update.

      We still have room in registration in case you're
      wondering if there is still time.

      We have received a grant from the East Tennessee
      Foundation and the American Crafts Council to help
      fund the event... a big help!!!

      I talked to Jean Marie Seaton about her Tribute Books.
      She wishes for attendats to hold the books and look
      at the individual pages. Jean Marie will have a
      display area in the library where she can present her
      collection personally.

      The Tribute Exhibition is going to be intimate, but
      outstanding. We never dreamed we would get such an
      enthusiastic response.

      Of course there will also be an excellent presenters
      and juried exhibition.

      The program is set. It will be jammed with slide
      lectures, demos and evening opportunites for hands-on.
      Start taking you vitamins.

      27 US states and 9 countries are represented so far.

      I have been reading some of the info about some kind
      of publication. In the end I do not know what form it
      will take. The goal is to keep the network in tact
      after the Gathering.

      Best to all, Laura

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • serra guney
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 5, 2002
        Dear Mrs. Laura Sims,

        We are reserving our airplane tickets from now in Istanbul. Since we will go
        from a long way from to Gatlinburg, we have to use some transfer tickets. It
        is the best way for us to arrive there one day earlier, 3th of september
        night. So now we are offering five "one more night" tickets for the
        following guests;

        Fusun & Hikmet Barutcugil
        Sema Balkaya & Halise K�se
        Ayla Makas & Serra Guney
        Ozlem Bulut & Gulden Ayboga
        Ali Sarac (alone)

        If it is possible, can you please organize us one more night for the 3th
        september night.

        Thank you for your kind relationship,

        Kind Regards
        Serra Guney

        >From: Laura Sims <indigostone2@...>
        >To: marbling@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Marbling] IMG 2002
        >Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:02:14 -0700 (PDT)
        >
        >Hello all,
        >
        >With only 2 months until the Gathering I wanted to
        >check in briefly and give you an update.
        >
        >We still have room in registration in case you're
        >wondering if there is still time.
        >
        >We have received a grant from the East Tennessee
        >Foundation and the American Crafts Council to help
        >fund the event... a big help!!!
        >
        >I talked to Jean Marie Seaton about her Tribute Books.
        > She wishes for attendats to hold the books and look
        >at the individual pages. Jean Marie will have a
        >display area in the library where she can present her
        >collection personally.
        >
        >The Tribute Exhibition is going to be intimate, but
        >outstanding. We never dreamed we would get such an
        >enthusiastic response.
        >
        >Of course there will also be an excellent presenters
        >and juried exhibition.
        >
        >The program is set. It will be jammed with slide
        >lectures, demos and evening opportunites for hands-on.
        >Start taking you vitamins.
        >
        >27 US states and 9 countries are represented so far.
        >
        >I have been reading some of the info about some kind
        >of publication. In the end I do not know what form it
        >will take. The goal is to keep the network in tact
        >after the Gathering.
        >
        >Best to all, Laura

        >Sign up for SBC Yahoo! Dial - First Month Free
        >http://sbc.yahoo.com

      • Laura Sims
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 5, 2002
          Dear Serra,

          I have forwarded your request onto Arrowmont. We will
          see each of you on September 3.

          Safe journey, Laura

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Laura Sims
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
            Hello all,

            A brief report of the International Marblers'
            Gathering will be given soon. Vi Wilson called it out
            "Marbling Village" since programs, food and housing
            were all available in one place.

            It was a rich experience providing satisfaction to
            those or scholarly interests, as well as to those who
            are brand new to the experiences of marbling.
            Presentations were outstanding and the Research and
            Development Room for trying different products and
            techniques was a place of enthusiastic chaos.

            The cook-out on the last night in the Great Smokey
            Mountains was a perfect ending to an amazing weekend.
            You haven't seen anything until you've seen Turkish
            Belly Dancing to Blue Grass Music. We waltzed and
            circled and twirled until the band packed up. The
            trolley ride back home was filled with laughter and
            satisfied yawns.

            Everyone was clearly lonely for their community/tribe
            and so happy to be together for a little while.

            We are very excited to report that there will be a
            newsletter to help maintain our connections. Money
            was raised during the auction so that we can now purse
            a Society of Marbling.

            Best to you all and if I didn't meet you this time I
            truely look forward to meeting you in the future.

            Warm Regards, Laura Sims

            Yahoo! - We Remember
            http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute
          • carylhanc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
              Dear Laura,
              As one of the participants of the IMG, and a first timer, I was totally awed
              by the job that you and your Planning Board did! Your job of organization
              left nothing undone from my viewpoint. I certainly agree with Vi's comment
              about a Marbling Village at Arrowmont, because the inhabitants of that
              Village became a Community in every sense of the word.
              Whenever I started to form a question about what was going on, all I had to
              do was thumb through the booklet, and there was the answer. I especially
              liked the synopses of the lectures and demos. That made it possible to
              really listen to the verbal presentation.
              The barbecue was an incredible finale to the Gathering - the food was great
              and the setting and music really provided a touch of Tennessee.
              I can only begin to guess the man/woman hours that went into the planning,
              and hope that your Board has had a chance to sit down relax and catch a nap
              or two.
              Please extend my thanks to the staff at Arrowmont as well - the food was
              great, and everyone was courteous and seemed on top of whatever situation
              arose.
              And to you, Laura, hats off and thanks again!
              Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
                Yes......wonderful.....Can we do it again next week???? LOL!!

                It felt, by the last day, that I had lived there for a long time and was
                sorry to have to leave. All that was missing were my doggies......And
                Phoebe Easton, I wish you could have been there, we missed you terribly.

                So many friends from all over the world, and new friends. Meeting people I
                had spoken to for many years but never met, Like Nancy Morains, Ingrid
                Weimann, many others. Meeting new kindred spirits, not only in regards to
                marbling, but similar life experiences....(you may know who you are!).
                Marblers I had long admired but never had met such as Hikmet, Nedim
                Sonmez......

                Meeting new friends who did not even speak English....Montse Buxo from
                Spain, who was next to me at the portfolio sale....if you can read this in
                English, I think you are the next marbling superstar, and a delightful
                person.....I gave you a mention in the Guild Of Bookworkers Journal and
                hope it does you some good business-wise.

                Hikmet, Jake and Patty...your tiles are now displayed in my studio. I gave
                my own tile to a good friend who loved it ....with the condition I can look
                at it and remember the fun I had making the tile with you, Jim Currier.
                Great to see former students who are now excellent marblers, great to see
                the demos and how people work. It was like being at the very core of
                creativity, it was very intense.

                And.....Vi......I am so happy you won the wonderful book!! It will be so
                happy with you.You are right...it did need to go to Australia! That was
                something to remember!

                If any of you are passing through New Jersey/New York area....please call!

[...]

              • V. Wilson
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 14, 2002
                  You were such a gracious under-bidder Iris! Your congratulatory hug meant
                  a great deal. I arrived home this morning, and the book arrived safely
                  too. The man at Quarantine in Sydney showed more than passing interest in
                  it - think he thought the boards were wood, (hope they were not, Jake!)
                  While I was visiting with the Guyots, we paid a visit to Nancy, and Eileen
                  Canning was there too, so both their signatures are now in the book. Mimi
                  - I know you signed your piece, but somehow I missed getting your signature
                  on the page. Sorry!! Guess I will just have to haul the book to the next
                  Gathering!

                  And I would like to add my sincere thanks and warmest congratulations to
                  everyone involved in the organization of the Gathering. It was truly a
                  mammoth effort. The sense of community and sharing were wonderful, and I
                  doubt that anyone was disappointed - except those who for one reason or
                  another were unable to attend. Sincere thanks also to Arrowmont staff for
                  providing such great food and facilities.

                  One of the highlights was being able to see first hand the incredible
                  Modern Marblers folios which Jean-Marie Seaton worked on so lovingly for so
                  many years. A person of half her years would have been hard pressed to
                  produce a more beautiful tribute to marbling. Truly magnificent. Bravo,
                  Jean-Marie!

                  Best wishes
                  Vi Wilson