RE: [Marbling] Digest Number 380

  • Franklyn Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2002
      Hi Debbie Shannon,

      I can only respond as a Canadian incorporated, charitable, non-profit,
      organization (Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild). Setting up
      is a chore but it is living with the status afterwards that is the
      challenge. We have, for example, recently had a lawyer interpret the new
      Canadian privacy regulations and determine that it is not worth the
      hassle to sell our membership list any more (we only did occasionally
      before and where we thought there was a benefit to members). We are now
      trying to get together the legal requirements and restrictions for
      chapters.

      It is impossible to determine beforehand what you will be doing that
      will be limited by your status. New directions will arise and pretty
      well all will be constrained by the incorporation and/or the non-profit
      status.

      Shelagh Smith