Re: [Marbling] Digest Number 380

  • jazzcatsclifton@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2002
      I'm a lurker on this group and a marbling enthusiast. I am currently trying
      to figure out a good way to start marbling on my own (mostly issues of space
      and confidence). I have spent two gloriously weeks at Arrowmont (four years
      apart) marbling with Mimi Schleicher. I am enjoying this list and hearing
      from the experts in the field.

      As to the web alternatives. Yahoo suits me fine but I wouldn't be adverse to
      joining something else and paying an annual fee. Given how many other things
      I join, $25 would probably be a top figure. I am writing to caution setting
      up a not for profit organization unless you're prepared for a good deal of
      work. It also helps to have a lawyer involved. I believe the advance time
      for getting 501C3 status is around six months if you really work at it. You
      also need to have a board, etc. etc. Another option could be applying for
      grants through another organization. There are often umbrella organizations
      that are willing to let you apply and then they serve as your fiscal agent.
      Sometimes they charge a fee for their administrative work.

      I don't know of an organization off the top of my head that would work. It
      would probably make sense if it's geographically located near the person who
      will be doing the applying. Maybe a book or paperarts organization - perhaps
      a university with such a program (universities I know ALWAYS charge an
      overhead and it can be hefty).

      Anyhow, thought I'd contribute since this is something I do know something
      about.

      Debbie Shannon
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 23, 2002
        That is valuble information and thank you. I want to ask though--you are
        referencing this in terms of United States rules and regulations? And I
        would ask the list members familiar with these non profit groups--what their
        experience is for Canada, Europe, Australia etc.
        Thanks
        Jill
        I am writing to caution setting
        > up a not for profit organization unless you're prepared for a good deal of
        > work. It also helps to have a lawyer involved. I believe the advance
        time
        > for getting 501C3 status is around six months if you really work at it. >
        > Debbie Shannon
      • IrisNevins
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2002
          Instead of a formal magazine, why not just use this forum and have people
          write articles as they get ideas. Seems complicated in my humble opinion.
          If the goal is the spreading of information, can't it be done here?

          Not sure what is meant with all this....would it be something with a
          layout, photos, marbled designs etc. like a regular magazine that one could
          download, put together as a real magazine via color printer etc.

          There certainly would be lots of legal and copyright issues (pardon the
          pun!) involved, does anyone want to get involved in tackling them, would
          there be enough subscribers etc? Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but was
          just curious about some of these ideas and what form this magazine would
          take, what it would look like etc., would someone have to go after
          advertisers etc.?

          Iris Nevins
        • Franklyn Smith
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 24, 2002
            Hi Debbie Shannon,

            I can only respond as a Canadian incorporated, charitable, non-profit,
            organization (Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild). Setting up
            is a chore but it is living with the status afterwards that is the
            challenge. We have, for example, recently had a lawyer interpret the new
            Canadian privacy regulations and determine that it is not worth the
            hassle to sell our membership list any more (we only did occasionally
            before and where we thought there was a benefit to members). We are now
            trying to get together the legal requirements and restrictions for
            chapters.

            It is impossible to determine beforehand what you will be doing that
            will be limited by your status. New directions will arise and pretty
            well all will be constrained by the incorporation and/or the non-profit
            status.

            Shelagh Smith

            That is valuble information and thank you. I want to ask though--you are
            referencing this in terms of United States rules and regulations? And I
            would ask the list members familiar with these non profit groups--what
            their
            experience is for Canada, Europe, Australia etc.
            Thanks
            Jill
            I am writing to caution setting
            > up a not for profit organization unless you're prepared for a good
            deal of
            > work. It also helps to have a lawyer involved. I believe the advance
            time
            > for getting 501C3 status is around six months if you really work at
            it. >
            > Debbie Shannon

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/