Yahoo! marketing and SPAM

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2002
      Hello,

      I thought everyone would like to know about the following news item. I
      started another yahoo group for my high school alumni. I set it up so that
      the directory is UNLISTED. For further safeguards, I set it up so that each
      member must be approved. Most of the alumni appreciated this as it has
      helped to deter some of the problems with Spam etc. Unfortunately, we have
      discovered more problems for those who don't have or don't want a yahoo ID.
      Due to that, my alumni list is voting on whether or not to move the list to
      a secure server.

      http://list-news.com/articles/02june/20020620.html

      I had mentioned in a previous post that if you have a Yahoo ID, you can go
      and turn off all marketing options in your yahoo preferences.

      Yahoo may be a convenient way to bring us together, but we may find at some
      point that we could do better. Ultimately, I think that this points us in
      the direction of setting up something for ourselves. It is my sincere hope
      that in the coming years we shall be able to obtain our own server, through
      which we can host:

      a small newsletter to start.

      an eventual on-line journal

      individual marbler's web pages at cost?

      virtual exhibitions and photo galleries?

      maintain archives of discussion groups

      On-line hypertext bibliography (one that would archive related texts that
      are not subject to copyright laws).

      implement database resources for historical documentation and research.

      We can do this if we can agree to start a non-profit organization that could
      apply for the grant money to obtain the server. Some have suggested that
      planning an on-line magazine may be the bait that will interest other
      marblers in having such an organization. It seems much more difficult to me
      to try and do that without some kind of organization to sponsor it. Without
      an organization, we can't apply for grants, and without grants, we can't
      afford a server.

      I would love to hear the thoughts of others regarding this topic. Would
      this be of interest?

      regards,

      Jake Benson
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2002
        It is a very large but not impossible endeavor. I'm sure this matter will
        also be discussed at the conference this year , too. It is a lot of research
        and you will need people savvy in internet matters, Not marbling, to set up
        and maintain the web presence. Certainly I hope the conference will allow
        people a chance to discuss this matter, and here too.
        Thanks
        Jill
        > Yahoo may be a convenient way to bring us together, but we may find at
        some
        > point that we could do better.
      • jemiljan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 22, 2002
          We are plannig a panel discussion on this very topic on Saturday
          afternoon. Yes, you are correct that it will take a group of
          "techies" to manage the web aspects. I think the idea is to start
          small- have a short, occasional newsletter letter sent snail-mail.
          If we can get a Non-profit up and running, then we can apply for
          the funding.

          I might point out that when compared to what we paid for
          marbling magazine subscriptions, this may actually be a little bit
          cheaper and easier to manage.

          I'm just brainstorming for now, but would love to hear more
          comments on this issue. In particular, I would like to ask
          everyone:

          "If we had a marbling society, what goals would you like to see
          established?"

          "What could a marbling society do for you personally?"

          "Would you subscribe to an on-line marbling magazine?"

          Jake