flattening papers

  • carolscott56560
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2002
      Jan,

      Here's one more way to flatten paper: I hang my papers to dry over pvc
      pipe that is about 5" in diameter that is covered with door screening
      material which I wind around the pole. This keeps the paper from
      making direct contact with the pipe. After it is bone dry I run it
      through an ironing mangle (mangle). The original purpose of a mangle
      was to iron in mass quantities large flat items such as curtains, bed
      sheets and pillowcases, although my manual has directions for ironing a
      button down shirt. New they cost thousands of dollars, but often you
      can find these at rummage or auction sales for around $50.00. If you
      can't find a mangle an even better solution is to use a dry mount
      press. Again they are thousands of dollars new, but could probably be
      used for a fee at a framing store.

      Carol Scott
    • hhumler
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 16, 2002
        i have had great success with drying my paper on skirt hangers. when perfectly dry, i then gather it
        all together, sandwich it between two pieces of poster board and stick it underneath a rug that i will
        be walking on (but isn't in a place that guests will notice!) I have done this with as many as 30
        pieces of 18 x 24" at a time. the weight of the carpet and walking on it will straighten the paper out
        within a few days. I sell paper by the piece and after sitting under the carpet, they are in sellable
        condition.