Drying Marbled Paper

  • Guffey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2002
      Recently there was a question about how to dry marbled paper so that it
      would dry flat. I use a piece of masonite which is larger than the paper
      I've marbled. Attach two clothespins at the top and attach the wet paper,
      then put 2 sheets of newsprint on top attaching all with the clothespins.
      You can get about 6 to 8 sheets of marbled paper interspersed with the
      newspaper before you have to take down and start again.

      Caution: do not use fresh newspapers...they should be about 3 months old so
      that the ink from the paper doesn't transfer to the marbled paper.
      The marbled paper will dry fairly flat as the water drips off (I put old
      towels on the floor under the hanging papers) rather than puddles which
      happens if you put the paper flat on the ground and let dry.

      After I've finished marbling for the day, I restack the marbled papers
      between dry newspaper and let dry completely lying flat on the floor. At
      this point you could also put a sheet of masonite on top to weight it down
      for really flat papers.

      If some newspaper sticks to the marbled paper (because you haven't rinsed
      all of the size off) wait until the marbled paper is completely dry (a few
      days) and then, very gently with a pencil eraser, remove the stuck piece of
      newspaper.

      Some marblers hang their wet paper on rods, or PVC pipe. The papers dry
      relatively flat, but will curl a bit where they were hanging on the rod.
      Remember, when paper is wet it expands. Drying vertically, rather than
      horizontally, has given the best results for me. I learned this method when
      I took a marbling class from Don Guyot.

      Happy Marbling,

      d. guffey