Re: [Marbling] Ironing paper

  • tkuroda
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2002
      Dear jan
      I am doing press marble papers using hard cover books, 3~4 days. But
      ironing is extrawork for press. I think, it is better not to ironing paper
      befor press.
      Sensui wrote
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2003
        As a restorer, I'm all against ironing dry paper (meaning paper after
        the production process is completed) except in a case of emergency.
        Hydrogen bridges in the paper are easily destroyed by ironing it, which
        diminishes elasticity and therefore enhances chances of the paper to
        "break" during further processing as well as during ageing. Better
        leave sheets in the press, gently!! Or if you don't own a press, make
        exact piles, put them in layers of not more than 25 - 30 sheets under
        boards, place a brick on the uppermost board and forget all about it
        for a day or two. Gentle pressure does the trick much better than tons
        of weight.

        Susanne Krause