Re: Survey Correction, SF Ex.

  • susaglenn
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2002
      --- In Marbling@y..., Milena Hughes <milena@i...> wrote:
      > I am correcting a misunderstanding of terms: The
      word "professional"

      Hi, Are you still doing the survey? Here's my info.:
      I hand marble cotton fabric with acrylic paint. I work at it about
      18 hours per week. Plus the prep time. And the finish the fabric
      time. I also spend about 5-6 hours per week contacting shops to
      carry my kits that I make out of the fabric. And I see to it that
      the kits are assembled. I'm also the shipper, clerical staff, book
      keeper, & website designer (to be launched real soon now - yeah,
      right. People buy the kits. Shops reorder them.

      I haven't taken any classes. I haven't been accepted into any juried
      shows. So what am I? Professional? Maybe I'm just crazy.... I spend
      a huge amout of time doing this work. I am selling my work although
      I'd be starving to death if I was counting on this for survival. I
      admit a lot of the marbling I've sold in kit form isn't anything to
      write home about, but I've got to support my habit somehow. My work
      is improving. I've been at this for 2 years. How good is it? Beats
      me. People have told me that "I could teach!" but these are not
      fellow marblers; these are quilters who want to learn how to marble
      so they can whip some up in their kitchen some afternoon before
      dinner.

      Susa Glenn
      Fredericksburg, TX