Re: [Marbling] Sun Spot Marble

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2000
      What IS sun spot marbled papers????
      Jill

      >From: baumgartner.papierdesign@...
      >
      >Does anyone on the list have experience with creating sun spot marbled
      >papers?
    • iris nevins
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2000
        I once got a day's worth of fairly good but not perfect sunspot using
        creosote mixed with the final color. I don't believe you can buy this.....I
        think it was banned for being poisonous. I got some nice papers but also
        got a wicked headache and nausea.

        I have also mixed fireplace ash with black, about 50/50 and let it sit for
        a day or too with frequent mixing, which is an almost, but very interesting
        sun spot type effect.

        Karli Frigge has a book out on Sunspot that is very, very expensive, but is
        probably available through Dawson's Books in Los Angeles, CA. Or in
        Holland....Antiquarian Frits Knuf may have it. It is a gorgeous book!
      • John Ang Cheng Siew
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2000
          I have not made any sun spot marbled paper before but have seen the
          ingredients (can remember the source, I think from Gabrielle Grunebaum's
          book). I think sometimes its called Tiger Eye (or cat eye, my own term :) )
          for obvious reason.

          Method 1:
          Dissolve some blood albumen in water and mix with several drops of copper
          vitriol.

          Method 2:
          Dissolve equal amount of potash, alum, soda in warm water and permit to cool.

          At 11:17 AM 01-03-2000 -0500, you wrote:
          >From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
          >
          >What IS sun spot marbled papers????
          >Jill
          >

          >>From: baumgartner.papierdesign@...
          >>
          >>Does anyone on the list have experience with creating sun spot marbled
          >>papers?

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          .
          .-P

          John Ang Cheng Siew
          My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
        • IrisNevins
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2000
            Is this my "sunspot" jpeg everyone is having trouble opening...or the other
            one from G.Gruenebaum's book. If it is mine, it was a scan, saved in
            photoshop as a jpeg. I can remove it and try putting up a picture taken
            with a digital camera instead.

            Kodak Imaging is a program that comes with Win.95 and 98. Go to the Start
            menu, then to Accessories, and it will be in the sub menu there.
          • G
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2000
              Hi Adele,

              The image viewer that I used is IrfanView. It is a freeware program
              available for download from
              http://softwarecenter.net/irfanview/english.htm
              It is a great little program for the pc.

              Adele Epstein wrote:

              > From: Adele Epstein <atelier_adele@...>
              >
              > I'm having trouble with this one, too. I note that all the other jpeg
              > files in the archives have little pictures of mountains on their
              > icons, but this one doesn't. Does that mean something? G- can you
              > tell us more about this image viewer? What is it????, is it
              > software? how is it installed? I've never heard of an "image
              > viewer."
              >
              > Many thanks, Adele
              >
              > By way of intro, I marble for fun and to create papers to use in book
              > and box structures.As I live in an apartment, I marble sporadically,
              > in workshops or when I can rent/borrow or join someone in their studio
              > space. What drew me to marbling was the water and color, and the way
              > they interact (I'm really a water person). Have taken workshops with
              > Iris Nevins, Don Guyot and Lauren Rowland.
              >
              > Adele Epstein
              > New York, New York
              > atelier_adele@...
              >
              > Shortcut URL to this page:

              Adel Ga Online
              Webmeistress
              http://www.adelga.com
              Get Paid for surfing the web click here:
              http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=EFW-151
              Be sure to use ID# EFW-151
            • G
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2000
                Iris,
                If I recall correctly it wasn't yours.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 5, 2000
                  No-not yours Iris--unfortunately it is Peter's file--looking at the error
                  message---I think some of the browsers here are not reading the header for
                  the file properly.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 5, 2000
                    Yes! This is a Good program to have!
                    Jill